Internal functions(?)

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:
Hi,

We use some functions in SQL (or , lets say in psql), i.e.
    SELECT current_date() ;
    SELECT version();

Is there a full list of these functions on web?

Regards, and best wishes,

--

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

devrim@oper.metu.edu.tr
devrim.gunduz@linux.org.tr
devrimg@tr.net

Phone : +90-535-328-9594 (cellular)-
Phone : +90-312-295-9595 (work)
Phone : +90-312-286-5906 (home)

Web : http://devrim.oper.metu.edu.tr

Re: Internal functions(?)

From
Darren Ferguson
Date:
You can in psql interface type \df

This will give you a list of all the functions that postgres supports

This includes parameter list and return variable

Also includes any stored procedures that you may have written

Hope this helps

Darren

Darren Ferguson

Date:
Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We use some functions in SQL (or , lets say in psql), i.e.
>     SELECT current_date() ;
>     SELECT version();
>
> Is there a full list of these functions on web?

In psql, \df.  I see version() but not current_date.  I think it is
mapped internally as "select date('now');".

Re: Internal functions(?)

Date:
> Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
>> Is there a full list of these functions on web?

The 7.2 documentation lists more of them than it used to, eg
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/functions-misc.html

I'm sure we are still missing some, however, since a lot of people
have been pretty lax about documenting :-(

Anyone care to go through pg_proc and the special cases in the parser
to see what's still undocumented?

> In psql, \df.  I see version() but not current_date.  I think it is
> mapped internally as "select date('now');".

I believe that \df suppresses functions that it deems uninteresting,
so I wouldn't entirely trust its output for this purpose, even aside
from the problem of parser mappings for some functions.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Internal functions(?)

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:
On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

<snip>
> In psql, \df.  I see version() but not current_date.  I think it is
> mapped internally as "select date('now');".
<snip>

Hi,

Thanks to everyone who replied. current_date stands in v7.2(b5).

Regards and best wishes,