Re: How to send automatically a NOTIFY when a COMMIT is done ?

From
jboes@nexcerpt.com (Jeff Boes)
Date:
"elisabeth maniez" <emaniez@caramail.com> wrote in message news:<a1q39u$n8d$1@news.tht.net>...
> When a transaction is commited, I would like to execute "automatically" a
> "NOTIFY ..." call

I'd asked about this sort of thing a few months ago (do a search on
"NOTIFY" at groups.google.com).  Your best bet is to write a trigger
in PL/Pgsql that EXECUTEs the NOTIFY.  Even there, you won't be able
to do it at COMMIT time, but only at statement execution time.  If you
want to do it when you commit, you'll have to do it programmatically
rather than through a trigger.

Re: How to send automatically a NOTIFY when a COMMIT is done ?

Date:
jboes@nexcerpt.com (Jeff Boes) writes:
> "elisabeth maniez" <emaniez@caramail.com> wrote in message news:<a1q39u$n8d$1@news.tht.net>...
>> When a transaction is commited, I would like to execute "automatically" a
>> "NOTIFY ..." call

> I'd asked about this sort of thing a few months ago (do a search on
> "NOTIFY" at groups.google.com).  Your best bet is to write a trigger
> in PL/Pgsql that EXECUTEs the NOTIFY.  Even there, you won't be able
> to do it at COMMIT time, but only at statement execution time.  If you
> want to do it when you commit, you'll have to do it programmatically
> rather than through a trigger.

Since the NOTIFY won't actually be sent to the client until/unless the
transaction commits, I should think a NOTIFY would do fine.

            regards, tom lane