PostgreSQL Outer Joins

From
"Campano, Troy"

Does PostgreSQL 7.1.3 support outer joins; or do you still need to use subqueries?

If it does support outer joins, does anyone know the syntax?

If it does not, does anyone know when it might?

Thank you for your time!

Troy Campano

Re: PostgreSQL Outer Joins

From
"Nick Fankhauser"
Date:
Outer joins are supported. Look here for the syntax:

http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?sql-language.html

I believe the syntax is just standard SQL. (The (+) shorthand that Oracle
uses is not supported.)

-Nick

Nick Fankhauser  nickf@ontko.com  Phone 1.765.935.4283  Fax 1.765.962.9788
Ray Ontko & Co.     Software Consulting Services     http://www.ontko.com/

Does PostgreSQL 7.1.3 support outer joins; or do you still need to use
subqueries?

If it does support outer joins, does anyone know the syntax?
If it does not, does anyone know when it might?

Thank you for your time!

Troy Campano

Re: PostgreSQL Outer Joins

From
"Gregory Wood"
Date:
PostgreSQL Outer Joins> Does PostgreSQL 7.1.3 support outer joins; or do you
still need to use subqueries?

Yes, outer joins are supported.

> If it does support outer joins, does anyone know the syntax?

ANSI SQL.

Example:
SELECT * FROM T1 LEFT JOIN T2 ON T1.ID=T2.ID;

Greg

Re: PostgreSQL Outer Joins

From
"Robert B. Easter"
Date:
Full support for outer joins, see:

http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?queries.html

Bob

On Monday 10 December 2001 01:24 pm, Campano, Troy wrote:
> Does PostgreSQL 7.1.3 support outer joins; or do you still need to use
> subqueries?
>

> If it does support outer joins, does anyone know the syntax?
>
> If it does not, does anyone know when it might?
>

> Thank you for your time!
>

> Troy Campano

Re: PostgreSQL Outer Joins

From
wsheldah@lexmark.com

Yes, outer joins are supported as of 7.1. The basic syntax is:

SELECT field1, field2 FROM t1 LEFT OUTER JOIN t2 ON t1.id = t2.id

You can use LEFT OUTER JOIN, RIGHT OUTER JOIN, or FULL OUTER JOIN. See the docs
for details at http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?sql-select.html.

--Wes Sheldahl

"Campano, Troy" <Troy.Campano%LibertyMutual.com@interlock.lexmark.com> on
12/10/2001 01:24:41 PM

cc:    (bcc: Wesley Sheldahl/Lex/Lexmark)

Does PostgreSQL 7.1.3 support outer joins; or do you still need to use
subqueries?

If it does support outer joins, does anyone know the syntax?

If it does not, does anyone know when it might?

Thank you for your time!

Troy Campano

Re: PostgreSQL Outer Joins

From
Doug McNaught
Date:
"Campano, Troy" <Troy.Campano@LibertyMutual.com> writes:

> Does PostgreSQL 7.1.3 support outer joins; or do you still need to use
> subqueries?

Yes, it supports outer joins.

> If it does support outer joins, does anyone know the syntax?

Same syntax as the SQL standard I think (as opposed to Oracle's which
is nonstandard).  See the docs:

http://www.us.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/#7.1

-Doug
   --T. J. Jackson, 1863