Questions about the upcoming 7.2?

From
Francisco Reyes
Date:
When is 7.2 scheduled to be "released"?
I know the third beta has been out, but I wonder if release date is close
by?

On the ToDo list under the "MISCELLANEOUS" we have:
-Put sort files in their own directory (Bruce)

Have there been any discussions on having different directories for
Indexes? So we would end up with directories for:
-Tables
-Sort
-Logs (is pg_xlog the log directory?)

How much work would it be to have data divided that way?
I woud think that this could have a very positive impact on performance on
multidisk installation. Even on an IDE setup having several drives going
ad the same time would allow big improvements over having everything on
one location. Although IDE raid would help, specially Raid 10, it would
still help for those with smaller budgets been able to separate the
directories.

Re: Questions about the upcoming 7.2?

Date:
Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com> writes:
> Have there been any discussions on having different directories for

We're planning to do tablespaces RSN (hopefully 7.3).  I see no value
in doing a half-baked feature when that's coming up.

(But, yes, it's been proposed before.)

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On Sun, 9 Dec 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> We're planning to do tablespaces RSN (hopefully 7.3).  I see no value
> in doing a half-baked feature when that's coming up.

When is 7.3 planned for (if all goes well)? Late 2002?
I am asking primarily because of another question I also asked.
I am "upsizing" a prostgresql box and I am wondering if I am better off
with one 15K rpm drive or 2 10Krpm drive. If table spaces were expected by
mid next year then I may go for the two 10k drives.