shmget problem on solaris

From
qradius@qnet.com.pe
Dear Sirs:

Please I have a problem at attempting  to run postmaster on
Solaris

when I executed:

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -i -D  /usr/local/pgsql/data

I get the follow error:

This error can be caused by one of three things:

1. The maximum size for shared memory segments on your system
was
   exceeded.  You need to raise the SHMMAX parameter in your
kernel
   to be at least 1245184 bytes.

2. The requested shared memory segment was too small for your
system.
   You need to lower the SHMMIN parameter in your kernel.

3. The requested shared memory segment already exists but is
of the
   wrong size.  This is most likely the case if an old
version of
   PostgreSQL crashed and didn't clean up.  The `ipcclean'
utility
   can be used to remedy this.

I am running Soalris v SunOS 5.8 , what possible solutions
exists?

Thank you in advance

Ernesto

Este mensaje fue enviado a trav�s de Qnet
http://www.qnet.com.pe

Re: shmget problem on solaris

From
Martín Marqués
Date:
On Vie 07 Dic 2001 12:13, qradius@qnet.com.pe wrote:
> Dear Sirs:
>
> Please I have a problem at attempting  to run postmaster on
> Solaris
>
> when I executed:
>
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -i -D  /usr/local/pgsql/data
>
> I get the follow error:
>
> This error can be caused by one of three things:
>
> 1. The maximum size for shared memory segments on your system
> was
>    exceeded.  You need to raise the SHMMAX parameter in your
> kernel
>    to be at least 1245184 bytes.
>
> 2. The requested shared memory segment was too small for your
> system.
>    You need to lower the SHMMIN parameter in your kernel.
>
> 3. The requested shared memory segment already exists but is
> of the
>    wrong size.  This is most likely the case if an old
> version of
>    PostgreSQL crashed and didn't clean up.  The `ipcclean'
> utility
>    can be used to remedy this.
>
> I am running Soalris v SunOS 5.8 , what possible solutions
> exists?

You'll have to configure the shared memory parameters in /etc/system.

Check this:

http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?kernel-resources.html

Saludos... :-)

--
Porqué usar una base de datos relacional cualquiera,
si podés usar PostgreSQL?

Re: shmget problem on solaris

From
Brian Avis
You need to check into setting the following values in /etc/system

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax = 16000000
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin = 1
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni = 100
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg = 20
set semsys:seminfo_semmns = 200
set semsys:seminfo_semmni = 70

This is how mine is currently set. It probably isn't optimal but it gets
the job done.  :)

qradius@qnet.com.pe wrote:

>Dear Sirs:
>
>Please I have a problem at attempting  to run postmaster on
>Solaris
>
>when I executed:
>
>/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -i -D  /usr/local/pgsql/data
>
>I get the follow error:
>
>This error can be caused by one of three things:
>
>1. The maximum size for shared memory segments on your system
>was
>   exceeded.  You need to raise the SHMMAX parameter in your
>kernel
>   to be at least 1245184 bytes.
>
>2. The requested shared memory segment was too small for your
>system.
>   You need to lower the SHMMIN parameter in your kernel.
>
>3. The requested shared memory segment already exists but is
>of the
>   wrong size.  This is most likely the case if an old
>version of
>   PostgreSQL crashed and didn't clean up.  The `ipcclean'
>utility
>   can be used to remedy this.
>
>I am running Soalris v SunOS 5.8 , what possible solutions
>exists?
>
>Thank you in advance
>
>Ernesto

>Este mensaje fue enviado a través de Qnet
>http://www.qnet.com.pe

Brian Avis
SEARHC Medical Clinic
Juneau, AK 99801