DOes PostgreSQL support UInt64?

From
Meenatchi Anbuchelvan
Date:
Hi
Does anyone know if Postgres supports UInt64. The
document says postgres supports bigint(which
corresponds to Int64), but I am not sure if it
supports Unsigned int 64. Also when i tried doing a
create table table1(name varchar(20), num bigint), i
get an error message which says
"ERROR:  Unable to locate type name 'bigint' in
catalog".
 And the postgres doc says "The bigint type may not be
available on all platforms since it relies on compiler
support for eight-byte integers"
Could someone please explain.
Also i would like to know where to look for a mapping
between SQL_Binary and a corresponding data type in
postgres.
COuld someone help!
thanks
Meenatchi

http://personals.yahoo.com

Re: DOes PostgreSQL support UInt64?

Date:
Meenatchi Anbuchelvan <maatchi@yahoo.com> writes:
> Does anyone know if Postgres supports UInt64.

It does not.

> create table table1(name varchar(20), num bigint), i
> get an error message which says
> "ERROR:  Unable to locate type name 'bigint' in
> catalog".

How old is your Postgres?  That works fine in recent releases.

            regards, tom lane

Re: DOes PostgreSQL support UInt64?

From
Stephan Szabo
Date:
On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Meenatchi Anbuchelvan wrote:

> Does anyone know if Postgres supports UInt64. The
> document says postgres supports bigint(which
> corresponds to Int64), but I am not sure if it
> supports Unsigned int 64. Also when i tried doing a
I don't believe there's built in support for unsigned
integers.

> create table table1(name varchar(20), num bigint), i
> get an error message which says
> "ERROR:  Unable to locate type name 'bigint' in
> catalog".
>  And the postgres doc says "The bigint type may not be
> available on all platforms since it relies on compiler
> support for eight-byte integers"
I think this means if your compiler doesn't have built in
support for an 8 byte integer (long long, or equivalent),
it's going to build without bigint support.  Also, what
version are you using?

> Also i would like to know where to look for a mapping
> between SQL_Binary and a corresponding data type in
> postgres.
I'm not sure what SQL_Binary is, but you may want to look
at bytea.

Re: DOes PostgreSQL support UInt64?

From
Meenatchi Anbuchelvan
Date:
Thanks to you both. The version that I am using is
PostgreSQL 7.0.3-8, the one thats gets shipped on
RedHat7.1 CD.
I have one more question related to data types. The
document says Postgres suports "text", but it is not
SQL compliant. Does this mean, there is no
corresponding type in SQL? So in my ODBC code I
wouldnt
be able to use a type corresponding to "text". Please
let me know..

Thanks,
Meenatchi