temporary table

From
"jack"
Date:
HI, all

Temporary tables created by "CREATE TABLE" or by "SELECT ..INTO" are so hard
to handle. If it doesn't exist, then "drop" cuases an error. If the same
procedure runs second time without dropping all temporary tables, providing
still in the same connection session, then procedure causes "table exists"
error. And it's unable to search system table to find whether it exists or
not. Is that possible to have a command like "drop table if exist"? Please
provide advices, thank you!

JACK

Re: temporary table

From
Andrew Snow
Date:
How about using the procedure only within a transaction - if something goes
wrong, the transaction can be aborted and all temporary tables will vanish,
meaning you can start a new transaction and call the procedure again without
worrying whether the temp tables exist.

- Andrew

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, jack wrote:

> HI, all
>
> Temporary tables created by "CREATE TABLE" or by "SELECT ..INTO" are so hard
> to handle. If it doesn't exist, then "drop" cuases an error. If the same
> procedure runs second time without dropping all temporary tables, providing
> still in the same connection session, then procedure causes "table exists"
> error. And it's unable to search system table to find whether it exists or
> not. Is that possible to have a command like "drop table if exist"? Please
> provide advices, thank you!
>

> JACK

Directory Names????

From
Stephan Bergmann
Date:
Hi all!

I've got one simple(?) question:
as PostgreSQL doesn't use the name of a database as directory name on
the hard disk (so does MySQL for example), how do I know, which database
is directory "18719" or "18750" in the directory ./pgsql/data/base?

Thanx in advance.

Greetings from Spain
Steve

Re: Directory Names????

From
Stephan Szabo
Date:
On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Stephan Bergmann wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I've got one simple(?) question:
> as PostgreSQL doesn't use the name of a database as directory name on
> the hard disk (so does MySQL for example), how do I know, which database
> is directory "18719" or "18750" in the directory ./pgsql/data/base?

Check out oid2name in contrib.

Re: Directory Names????

From
bpalmer
Date:
> I've got one simple(?) question:
> as PostgreSQL doesn't use the name of a database as directory name on
> the hard disk (so does MySQL for example), how do I know, which database
> is directory "18719" or "18750" in the directory ./pgsql/data/base?

Take a look at contrib/oid2name

- Brandon

 c: 646-456-5455                                            h: 201-798-4983
 b. palmer,  bpalmer@crimelabs.net           pgp:crimelabs.net/bpalmer.pgp5