FYI To Postgres Authors

From
Keary Suska
Date:
The description of the "substring" function in the 7.1 docs is still wrong:

substring('Thomas' from 2 for 3)  ->  'oma'

No, it's 'hom'.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.

Re: FYI To Postgres Authors

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> The description of the "substring" function in the 7.1 docs is still wrong:
> substring('Thomas' from 2 for 3)  ->  'oma'
> No, it's 'hom'.

Yup. I should have used the database to calculate it, eh? Will be fixed.
Thanks.

                 - Thomas

Re: FYI To Postgres Authors

Date:
> > The description of the "substring" function in the 7.1 docs is still wrong:
> > substring('Thomas' from 2 for 3)  ->  'oma'
> > No, it's 'hom'.
>
> Yup. I should have used the database to calculate it, eh? Will be fixed.
> Thanks.

I see in SGML:

Looks OK to me, and in the database:

    test=> select substring('Thomas' from 2 for 3);
     substring
    -----------
     hom
    (1 row)

My guess is that we fixed it after 7.1.

Re: FYI To Postgres Authors

From
Keary Suska
Date:
Thanks for fixing it. I always forget the syntax for substring, so I look in
the online docs, and I don't blink twice because I am accustomed to strings
being 0-based, until I don't get the results I expect. Fortunately I
remembered something was fishy about the example and I tested before
running.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.