-rw-------  1 postgres  dbadmin  122880 Oct 18 13:28 1269
-rw-------  1 postgres  dbadmin    8192 Oct 15 17:59 17127
-rw-------  1 postgres  dbadmin    8192 Oct 15 17:59 17130
-rw-------  1 postgres  dbadmin    8192 Oct 18 13:28 pg_control
-rw-------  1 postgres  dbadmin       0 Oct 15 18:09 pg_pwd
-rw-------  1 postgres  dbadmin       0 Oct 15 18:08 pg_pwd.reload

-rw-------  1 postgres  dbadmin  122880 Oct 18 13:28 1269   <-- What is this
file

Im running a fairly heavy database application, this file grew in size to

-rw------- 1 postgres dbadmin 961904640 Oct 15 16:18 1269

over a period of 2-3 months?

Failing everything, I backed up the database, upgraded postgres and reloaded
the database only to see this file popup again.  Can i safely delete this
file? What is it? Do i need it ?

Regards
Andrew

Re: Large Files?

From
Doug McNaught
Date:
"Andrew Crouch" <s4011726@student.uq.edu.au> writes:

> Im running a fairly heavy database application, this file grew in size to
>
> -rw------- 1 postgres dbadmin 961904640 Oct 15 16:18 1269
>
> over a period of 2-3 months?
>

> Failing everything, I backed up the database, upgraded postgres and reloaded
> the database only to see this file popup again.  Can i safely delete this
> file? What is it? Do i need it ?

No, you can't delete it.  It's probably a table in your database.  Are
you running VACUUM periodically?  If not, try doing so and you should
see those files shrink.

-Doug
   --T. J. Jackson, 1863

Re: Large Files?

Date:
"Andrew Crouch" <s4011726@student.uq.edu.au> writes:
> -rw-------  1 postgres  dbadmin  122880 Oct 18 13:28 1269   <-- What is this
> file

pg_log, as you could find out with an inquiry against pg_class:

test71=# select relname from pg_class where relfilenode = 1269;
 relname
---------
 pg_log
(1 row)

test71=#

No, you can't delete it or shorten it, except by dump/initdb/reload.

7.2 will have a better approach to pg_log maintenance ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Large Files?

Date:
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@atentus.com> writes:
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Tom Lane wrote:
>> 7.2 will have a better approach to pg_log maintenance ...

> Are you referring to your proposal to "survive transaction-ID
> wraparound"

The part of it that allows pg_log to be divided into segments, yes.

> Is this thing (or whatever it has mutated into) already done?

Yes.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Large Files?

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> 7.2 will have a better approach to pg_log maintenance ...

Are you referring to your proposal to "survive transaction-ID
wraparound"
(http://archives2.us.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2001-08/msg00457.php),
or something else?

Is this thing (or whatever it has mutated into) already done?

--
Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[@]atentus.com>)
"La libertad es como el dinero; el que no la sabe emplear la pierde" (Alvarez)