Reading psql password from stdin

Date:
We have recently realized that psql and pg_dump read passwords from
stdin, rather than from the more traditional /dev/tty.  I would like to
change the default to /dev/tty and read from stdin only when /dev/tty
can't be opened.

Is this good or bad?  I need votes.

Re: Reading psql password from stdin

From
Keary Suska
Date:
Good, good, very good! being one of the people who steadfastly avoids PGUSER
and PGPASSWORD for security reasons, it would be nice t be able to do
    $ psql db user < file
As the docs say you can. Would this change also allow the use of:
    $ pg_dump > dumpfile
Which doesn't work when prompting for password, but that can be a stdout
issue.

I would enumerate these issues as the top annoyances with the postgres
client apps. Although I would place them very low compared to being able to
alter/remove columns.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.

> From: Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>
> Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 19:07:25 -0400 (EDT)
> To: PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
> Subject: [GENERAL] Reading psql password from stdin
>
> We have recently realized that psql and pg_dump read passwords from
> stdin, rather than from the more traditional /dev/tty.  I would like to
> change the default to /dev/tty and read from stdin only when /dev/tty
> can't be opened.
>
> Is this good or bad?  I need votes.
>
> --
> Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
> pgman@candle.pha.pa.us               |  (610) 853-3000
> +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  830 Blythe Avenue
> +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026

Re: Reading psql password from stdin

From
Lincoln Yeoh
Date:
pg_dump does wait for passwords - version 7.1.x.

But the password prompts end up in the dumpfile.

That is to say, the Username: and/or Password: prompts end up in the
dumpfile and are not displayed on the screen.

Cheerio,
Link.

At 06:19 PM 14-10-2001 -0600, Keary Suska wrote:
>Good, good, very good! being one of the people who steadfastly avoids PGUSER
>and PGPASSWORD for security reasons, it would be nice t be able to do
>    $ psql db user < file
>As the docs say you can. Would this change also allow the use of:
>    $ pg_dump > dumpfile
>Which doesn't work when prompting for password, but that can be a stdout
>issue.
>
>I would enumerate these issues as the top annoyances with the postgres
>client apps. Although I would place them very low compared to being able to
>alter/remove columns.
>
>Keary Suska
>Esoteritech, Inc.
>"Leveraging Open Source for a better Internet"

Re: Reading psql password from stdin

From
Lincoln Yeoh
Correction:
The password promps only end up in the dumpfile for version 6.5.

pg_dump does wait and prompt for passwords if you use -u for version 7.1.x.

Cheerio,
Link.

At 06:19 PM 14-10-2001 -0600, Keary Suska wrote:
>Good, good, very good! being one of the people who steadfastly avoids PGUSER
>and PGPASSWORD for security reasons, it would be nice t be able to do
>    $ psql db user < file
>As the docs say you can. Would this change also allow the use of:
>    $ pg_dump > dumpfile
>Which doesn't work when prompting for password, but that can be a stdout
>issue.
>
>I would enumerate these issues as the top annoyances with the postgres
>client apps. Although I would place them very low compared to being able to
>alter/remove columns.
>
>Keary Suska
>Esoteritech, Inc.
>"Leveraging Open Source for a better Internet"

Re: Reading psql password from stdin

Date:
The proposed patch would fix this.  Password prompts would go to the
terminal.  Right now they got to stderr.  Does your stderr go to the
dump file?

> pg_dump does wait for passwords - version 7.1.x.
>
> But the password prompts end up in the dumpfile.
>
> That is to say, the Username: and/or Password: prompts end up in the
> dumpfile and are not displayed on the screen.
>
> Cheerio,
> Link.
>
> At 06:19 PM 14-10-2001 -0600, Keary Suska wrote:
> >Good, good, very good! being one of the people who steadfastly avoids PGUSER
> >and PGPASSWORD for security reasons, it would be nice t be able to do
> >    $ psql db user < file
> >As the docs say you can. Would this change also allow the use of:
> >    $ pg_dump > dumpfile
> >Which doesn't work when prompting for password, but that can be a stdout
> >issue.
> >
> >I would enumerate these issues as the top annoyances with the postgres
> >client apps. Although I would place them very low compared to being able to
> >alter/remove columns.
> >
> >Keary Suska
> >Esoteritech, Inc.
> >"Leveraging Open Source for a better Internet"

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Reading psql password from stdin

Date:
Oops, sorry, I see my question was answered.