Reading the database in RAM

From
vitthal
Date:
Is there any way of reading the whole database into memory? By changing
the
number of shared buffers the first query still takes long time and the
subsequent similar queries are fast.
If there is way of pinning the database in the memory all similar
queries will take the same time. My database is around 200MB and could
easily be pinned into RAM.
thanks

vitthal

Re: Reading the database in RAM

From
"Steve Wolfe"
Date:
> Is there any way of reading the whole database into memory? By changing
> the
> number of shared buffers the first query still takes long time and the
> subsequent similar queries are fast.
> If there is way of pinning the database in the memory all similar
> queries will take the same time. My database is around 200MB and could
> easily be pinned into RAM.

  If you have enough RAM, your OS will cache the physical files as they
are used.  I'm not sure how much of a speedup would be gained by PG
keeping the data in RAM and doing the caching itself, but my guess is that
it wouldn't be that great of a speedup over simply having the data in the
disk cache.

steve