New To PostgreSQL

From
"Tom Ince"
Date:
I am attempting to convert an database currently running on Informix to
a free database on Linux (RedHat 6.1).  I have a question.....

I learned that MySQL, does not maintain foreign keys, which affects me
because I need to use things like CHECK in the CREATE TABLE statements.
So thats why I am not trying PostgreSQL.  Does PostgreSQL support
foreign keys?  Are there any other quirks I might run into as far as
SQL syntax goes?

Thank In Advance,

Thomas Ince
Software Systems Engineer
Atlantic Consulting Services
Shrewsbury, NJ
tince@acsinc-nj.com

Re: New To PostgreSQL

From
Doug McNaught
Date:
"Tom Ince" <tince@acsinc-nj.com> writes:

> I am attempting to convert an database currently running on Informix to
> a free database on Linux (RedHat 6.1).  I have a question.....
>
> I learned that MySQL, does not maintain foreign keys, which affects me
> because I need to use things like CHECK in the CREATE TABLE statements.
> So thats why I am not trying PostgreSQL.  Does PostgreSQL support
> foreign keys?  Are there any other quirks I might run into as far as
> SQL syntax goes?

Yes, recent versions of PostgreSQL support foreign keys and general
CHECK constraints as well.  You will probably run into some SQL
differences between Informix and Postgres but I don't think they are
major.

The PG documentation is online at www.postgresql.org, feel free to
check it out if you haven't already.

-Doug
--
In a world of steel-eyed death, and men who are fighting to be warm,
Come in, she said, I'll give you shelter from the storm.    -Dylan

Re: New To PostgreSQL

From
"Brent R. Matzelle"
Date:
--- Tom Ince <tince@acsinc-nj.com> wrote:
> I am attempting to convert an database currently running on
> Informix to
> a free database on Linux (RedHat 6.1).  I have a question.....
>
> I learned that MySQL, does not maintain foreign keys, which
> affects me
> because I need to use things like CHECK in the CREATE TABLE
> statements.
> So thats why I am not trying PostgreSQL.  Does PostgreSQL
> support
> foreign keys?

Yes.

>  Are there any other quirks I might run into as
> far as
> SQL syntax goes?

The syntax is very ANSI SQL 92 compliant.  I have projects which
can interchangebly utilize PostgreSQL, MSSQL, and MySQL with
little changes.

The only thing that might require a change in code is that the
PostgreSQL LIKE is case-sensitive, unlike other databases.  You
have to change your queries to ILIKE.

Brent

http://phone.yahoo.com

Re: New To PostgreSQL

From
Andrew Gould
Date:
MySQL's syntax for the UPDATE SQL statement does not
allow for the use of multiple tables.  You cannot
update existing records in one table with data from
another using SQL statements at the interactive
prompt.  There are work-arounds; but I they are both
incovenient and very inefficient.  Fixing this has
been on their todo list for a very long time; but
without any priority.

This was the most significant reason I switched from
MySQL to PostgreSQL.  There are other great reasons
switch; but I am a newbie and didn't know what they
were at the time.   ;-)

Best of luck,

Andrew Gould

--- Tom Ince <tince@acsinc-nj.com> wrote:
> I am attempting to convert an database currently
> running on Informix to
> a free database on Linux (RedHat 6.1).  I have a
> question.....
>
> I learned that MySQL, does not maintain foreign
> keys, which affects me
> because I need to use things like CHECK in the
> CREATE TABLE statements.
> So thats why I am not trying PostgreSQL.  Does
> PostgreSQL support
> foreign keys?  Are there any other quirks I might
> run into as far as
> SQL syntax goes?
>
> Thank In Advance,
>
> Thomas Ince
> Software Systems Engineer
> Atlantic Consulting Services
> Shrewsbury, NJ
> tince@acsinc-nj.com

http://phone.yahoo.com

Re: New To PostgreSQL

From
John Clark Naldoza y Lopez
Tom Ince wrote:

> I am attempting to convert an database currently running on Informix to
> a free database on Linux (RedHat 6.1).  I have a question.....
>
> I learned that MySQL, does not maintain foreign keys, which affects me
> because I need to use things like CHECK in the CREATE TABLE statements.
> So thats why I am not trying PostgreSQL.  Does PostgreSQL support
> foreign keys?  Are there any other quirks I might run into as far as
> SQL syntax goes?

Yes. PostgreSQL supports foreign keys and a whole lot of other stuff,
kindly check out the documents at http://techdocs.postgresql.org.

=)

--
     /) John Clark Naldoza y Lopez                           (\
    / )    Software Design Engineer III                      ( \

"Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet getting the work
done"
--Linus Torvalds