postgresql.conf

From
"Mihai Gheorghiu"
Date:
I installed PG from RPMs. postgresql.conf comes with all options commented
out.
What are the defaults? PG works anyway (Well... I know... -i etc.)
Thank you all.

Re: postgresql.conf

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
On Tuesday 25 September 2001 11:34 am, Mihai Gheorghiu wrote:
> I installed PG from RPMs. postgresql.conf comes with all options commented
> out.
> What are the defaults? PG works anyway (Well... I know... -i etc.)
> Thank you all.

All options commented out is the installation default of a from-source
install as well as the RPM install.  The default values for the various
paramters are commented inside the file, IIRC.

Use tcpip_socket=true instead of -i....

I made the conscious decision to ship the default postgresql.conf -- what
optimizations should I make?  I can't make generalized optimizations -- so I
ship the default file.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: postgresql.conf

From
"Mihai Gheorghiu"
Date:
Thank you very much.
Actually, it was the optimization parameters that I was interested in. My db
works rather slow even in single user mode and I wondered if I had missed
some setup. BTW, is there a way to see what parameters are in effect?

>On Tuesday 25 September 2001 11:34 am, Mihai Gheorghiu wrote:
>> I installed PG from RPMs. postgresql.conf comes with all options
commented
>> out.
>> What are the defaults? PG works anyway (Well... I know... -i etc.)
>> Thank you all.
>
>All options commented out is the installation default of a from-source
>install as well as the RPM install.  The default values for the various
>paramters are commented inside the file, IIRC.
>
>Use tcpip_socket=true instead of -i....
>
>I made the conscious decision to ship the default postgresql.conf -- what
>optimizations should I make?  I can't make generalized optimizations -- so
>ship the default file.
>--
>Lamar Owen
>WGCR Internet Radio
>1 Peter 4:11

Re: postgresql.conf

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
On Wednesday 26 September 2001 09:29 am, Mihai Gheorghiu wrote:
> Thank you very much.
> Actually, it was the optimization parameters that I was interested in. My
> db works rather slow even in single user mode and I wondered if I had
> missed some setup.

See Bruce's Performance article, which is linked to from
techdocs.postgresql.org. But, the direct link is
http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/hw_performance/index.html

Even though it discusses hardware performance tuning, sizing the shared
buffer cache and the sort size is also discussed.

> BTW, is there a way to see what parameters are in
> effect?

See
http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.1/admin/runtime-config.html for
the basics.

From a psql session you can show any runtime parameter that is set by using
the SQL 'SHOW' command.  For instance, using SHOW tcpip_socket; from a psql
session I can get:
template1=# show tcpip_socket;
NOTICE:  tcpip_socket is off
SHOW VARIABLE
template1=#

Or even:
template1=# show shared_buffers;
NOTICE:  shared_buffers is 64
SHOW VARIABLE
template1=#

Use the listing in the administrator's guide (the link above) to see a
listing of the possible paramters, and then SHOW that parameter to see what
you want to see.

Although SHOW should have a way of listing ALL settings, IMHO.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

How does a user know about techdocs.postgresql.org?

From
Barry Lind
Date:
This may sound like a strange question, but how does a postgres user
know of the existence of techdocs.postgresql.org?  I would have assumed
that there would be a link off of the main web site under Users Corner
to this useful repository of information, but I can't find any such
link.  Without such a link, how does a user find out that techdocs
exists?  Other than posting an email and getting a response that says to
look there.

thanks,
--Barry

Lamar Owen wrote:

> On Wednesday 26 September 2001 09:29 am, Mihai Gheorghiu wrote:
>
>>Thank you very much.
>>Actually, it was the optimization parameters that I was interested in. My
>>db works rather slow even in single user mode and I wondered if I had
>>missed some setup.
>>

> See Bruce's Performance article, which is linked to from
> techdocs.postgresql.org. But, the direct link is
> http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/hw_performance/index.html
>
> Even though it discusses hardware performance tuning, sizing the shared
> buffer cache and the sort size is also discussed.
>

>>BTW, is there a way to see what parameters are in
>>effect?
>>

> See
> http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.1/admin/runtime-config.html for
> the basics.
>
>From a psql session you can show any runtime parameter that is set by using
> the SQL 'SHOW' command.  For instance, using SHOW tcpip_socket; from a psql
> session I can get:
> template1=# show tcpip_socket;
> NOTICE:  tcpip_socket is off
> SHOW VARIABLE
> template1=#
>
> Or even:
> template1=# show shared_buffers;
> NOTICE:  shared_buffers is 64
> SHOW VARIABLE
> template1=#
>
> Use the listing in the administrator's guide (the link above) to see a
> listing of the possible paramters, and then SHOW that parameter to see what
> you want to see.
>
> Although SHOW should have a way of listing ALL settings, IMHO.

Re: How does a user know about techdocs.postgresql.org?

From
"Nick Fankhauser"
Date:
It *is* a little tough to stumble onto- it's the "Non-FAQ Documentation"
link from the User's Lounge. labeling it something like "3rd-party and
contributed DOCS" might help...

-Nick

Date:
On Wednesday 26 September 2001 04:36 pm, Barry Lind wrote:
> This may sound like a strange question, but how does a postgres user
> know of the existence of techdocs.postgresql.org?  I would have assumed
> that there would be a link off of the main web site under Users Corner
> to this useful repository of information, but I can't find any such
> link.  Without such a link, how does a user find out that techdocs
> exists?  Other than posting an email and getting a response that says to
> look there.

User Lounger -> Non-FAQ Documentation.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: postgresql.conf

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
On Friday 28 September 2001 03:23 pm, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Although SHOW should have a way of listing ALL settings, IMHO.

> Sure does, "SHOW ALL", new in 7.2.

It figures.  Day late and a dollar short, that am I.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: postgresql.conf