PostgreSQL On the Mac? OS9 or OSX?

From
Israel Evans

In looking over the documentation, I haven't seen any evidence of PostgreSQL
working on the Mac.  Is this the case, or am I missing something.  Has
anyone heard of it ever being used on a mac?

Thanks,

~Israel~

Re: PostgreSQL On the Mac? OS9 or OSX?

From
Paul Ramsey
Date:
Indeed, on OSX.

http://www.pgmac.com

Israel Evans wrote:

> In looking over the documentation, I haven't seen any evidence of PostgreSQL
> working on the Mac.  Is this the case, or am I missing something.  Has
> anyone heard of it ever being used on a mac?
>
> Thanks,
>
> ~Israel~

Re: PostgreSQL On the Mac? OS9 or OSX?

From
Howie
Date:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Israel Evans wrote:

> In looking over the documentation, I haven't seen any evidence of PostgreSQL
> working on the Mac.  Is this the case, or am I missing something.  Has
> anyone heard of it ever being used on a mac?

test=> select version();
                                version
 PostgreSQL 7.1.2 on powerpc-apple-darwin1.3.3, compiled by GCC 2.95.2

runs just fine under OSX.

---
Howie <caffeine@toodarkpark.org>   URL: http://www.toodarkpark.org
     "This sort of thing has cropped up before and has always been
      due to human error." -- HAL

Re: PostgreSQL On the Mac? OS9 or OSX?

From
Doug McNaught
Date:
Israel Evans <israel@lith.com> writes:

> In looking over the documentation, I haven't seen any evidence of PostgreSQL
> working on the Mac.  Is this the case, or am I missing something.  Has
> anyone heard of it ever being used on a mac?

It runs on OS X just fine from what I've heard, thought I haven't used
it on that platform.  I doubt it will ever run on "Classic" MacOS.

-Doug
--
Free Dmitry Sklyarov!
http://www.freesklyarov.org/

We will return to our regularly scheduled signature shortly.

Re: PostgreSQL On the Mac? OS9 or OSX?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Israel Evans writes:

> In looking over the documentation, I haven't seen any evidence of PostgreSQL
> working on the Mac.  Is this the case, or am I missing something.

You're missing something. ;-)

7.1 works on MacOS X.  See the installation instructions.

Re: PostgreSQL On the Mac? OS9 or OSX?

From
Russ McBride
Date:
Hi Israel,

The documentation I saw at one point does list OS X as one of the
officially supported platforms, basically I think just because PG
runs on FreeBSD and OS X has got a FreeBSD core, more or less.  I got
PG running on OS X (10.0.3) without any problems other than those
attributable to my glaring lack of Unix skills.  Note that during the
installation I wasn't able to create the user, "postgres", in the
command line, but had to do it using the nice gui tools built into OS
X.  Note also that the following command didn't work:

gmake install

and that I had to instead type:

gmake install-all-headers

It was a bit of a pain to get PG installed with jdbc support because
it involves installing Ant and an XML parser. Somehow, miraculously,
it all seems to be working, although I haven't been able to get the
pgaccess client program working yet, I think perhaps because I
haven't go the tcl path properly set up.

Best of luck,

>In looking over the documentation, I haven't seen any evidence of PostgreSQL
>working on the Mac.  Is this the case, or am I missing something.  Has
>anyone heard of it ever being used on a mac?
>
>Thanks,
>
>~Israel~

Russell McBride
Computer/AI/Cognitive Science Senior Consultant
    Psyex Research & Consulting
    951 Cornell Ave.
    Albany, CA  94706
    www.psyex.com
    Russ@psyex.com
    Office: (510) 558-1662
    Cell: (510) 682-4008
_______________________________
Ph.D. Student
    U.C. Berkeley
    Philosophy Dept.
    314 Moses Hall, #2390
    Berkeley, CA 94720
      (510) 642-2722

Re: PostgreSQL On the Mac? OS9 or OSX?

From
"james"
Date:
i've got it installed and running on osx on an imac :)

james