Re: RFC: PostgreSQL and MySQL comparison.

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Hi guys,

I'm willing to put this on techdocs.postgresql.org, as long as I feel
it's been written for the right reasons.

i.e. I'm all for a document(s) which helps people needing a good, solid,
Open Source database needing transactions, ACID features, etc.  But, I'm
definitely not for a document which will incite PostgreSQL-vs-MySQL
warfare and not try and get people to choost the appropriate product(s).

:)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Digital Wokan wrote:

> Knock yourself out.  I got jumped by a MySQL user on AZPHP for asking
> another person why they had their Linux/PHP setup use an NT/MSSQL
> database backend instead of Linux/PGSQL.  (IMHO, PGSQL is far closer to
> the features desired by MSSQL developers.  Though I thought I heard
> something about PGSQL procedures not being able to return recordsets.  I
> hope I heard wrong.)
>
> Alexey Borzov wrote:
> >
> > Greetings!
> >
> >     Well, I suppose everyone on this list will agree that Postgres is
> > superior over MySQL (or else they would have joined MySQL mailing list
> > *chuckle*). So I would just note one area where MySQL is considerably
> > stronger: PR.
> >
> >     Every fart of MySQL developers gets noticed by high profile sites
> > (change of logo, "NASA switches from Oracle to MySQL" - remember this
> > one?, addition of Perl SPs, etc). I even remember "Gemini
> > table type" announcement on Slashdot when this table type was complete
> > vapourware. Besides, every comparison between PgSQL and MySQL draws
> > attention from MySQL employees and volunteer trolls (check talkbacks
> > on PHPBuilder, for example).
> >
> >     I suppose PgSQL has to take a more active stance as well. Consider
> > "M$ vs Linux debates". Of course here both projects are Open Source so
> > the discussion should not be as heated... But I do think that
> > the statements in
> > http://www.mysql.com/doc/M/y/MySQL-PostgreSQL_features.html
> > should NOT go unanswered.
> >
> >     So, I propose the (semi-)official featureset comparison, but from
> > Postgres users' POV. With a healthy dose of FUD as well, it is time for MySQL
> > folks to taste their own medicine...
> >
> >     Things that, IMHO, should go into this comparison:
> > 1. MySQL does not satisfy the semi-official definition of RDBMS -
> > "Codd's 12 rules", as it is in complete violation of rules 4 and 6
> > 2. MySQL is not SQL-compliant as views and subselects are required by
> > entry-level SQL92 spec (I may be mistaken here, 'cause I have only the
> > Russian translation of Gruber's "SQL Instant Reference")
> > 3. MySQL did not have a major release to fix their shortcomings
> > in several years, while Postgres evolves constantly. Moreover,
> > according to MySQL's "roadmap" the most requested features are pushed
> > back from mythical "4.0" to even more mythical "4.1" and "4.2"
> > 4. It is very difficult to port to or from MySQL, 'cause the logic
> > that is usually incapsulated in DB should be rewritten in application.
> >
> >     Of course I don't think this should go into PgSQL manual, it is
> > definitely not the place for such rants, but it should be published on
> > some of "official" PgSQL sites. And then submitted to /. and such. :]
> >
> >     Well, I *can* take up this "project", if it will be approved here,
> > but must admit that the results should br reviewed by someone for whom
> > English is a native language. :]
> >
> > --
> > Yours, Alexey V. Borzov, Webmaster of RDW.ru

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: RFC: PostgreSQL and MySQL comparison.

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Justin Clift wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm willing to put this on techdocs.postgresql.org, as long as I feel
> it's been written for the right reasons.
>
> i.e. I'm all for a document(s) which helps people needing a good, solid,
> Open Source database needing transactions, ACID features, etc.  But, I'm
> definitely not for a document which will incite PostgreSQL-vs-MySQL
> warfare and not try and get people to choost the appropriate product(s).

Don't worry, it'll incite a riot no matter how accurate it is.

Vince.

Re: RFC: PostgreSQL and MySQL comparison.

From
Doug McNaught
Date:
Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com> writes:

> On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Justin Clift wrote:
>
> > i.e. I'm all for a document(s) which helps people needing a good, solid,
> > Open Source database needing transactions, ACID features, etc.  But, I'm
> > definitely not for a document which will incite PostgreSQL-vs-MySQL
> > warfare and not try and get people to choost the appropriate product(s).
>
> Don't worry, it'll incite a riot no matter how accurate it is.

Yeah.  First thing to do is get it on Slashdot....

;)

-Doug
--
Free Dmitry Sklyarov!
http://www.freesklyarov.org/

We will return to our regularly scheduled signature shortly.

Re: RFC: PostgreSQL and MySQL comparison.

From
"Mitch Vincent"
Date:
> > I'm willing to put this on techdocs.postgresql.org, as long as I feel
> > it's been written for the right reasons.
> >
> > i.e. I'm all for a document(s) which helps people needing a good, solid,
> > Open Source database needing transactions, ACID features, etc.  But, I'm
> > definitely not for a document which will incite PostgreSQL-vs-MySQL
> > warfare and not try and get people to choost the appropriate product(s).
>
> Don't worry, it'll incite a riot no matter how accurate it is.

    I'm not sure that much of that last MySQL write-up was inaccurate though
it's presentation was clearly meant to promote MySQL and not to compare
MySQL and PostgreSQL.. The MySQL guys want to emphasize MySQL's strong
points and downplay it's weak ones.. That's good marketing any way you look
at it but I don't think that such a document is little more than marketing
propeganda. I didn't see any mention of what was coming up in PostgreSQL 8,
though they sure wanted everyone to know what would be in MySQL 4..... Note
that I would say the same thing about a document written with a PostgreSQL
bias if it was written in the same way that this document was...

-Mitch

Re: RFC: PostgreSQL and MySQL comparison.

From
David Ford
Date:
Justin Clift wrote:

>Hi guys,
>
>I'm willing to put this on techdocs.postgresql.org, as long as I feel
>it's been written for the right reasons.
>
>i.e. I'm all for a document(s) which helps people needing a good, solid,
>Open Source database needing transactions, ACID features, etc.  But, I'm
>definitely not for a document which will incite PostgreSQL-vs-MySQL
>warfare and not try and get people to choost the appropriate product(s).
>
>:)
>
>Regards and best wishes,
>
>Justin Clift

Make it represent the pure facts, make both sides 'look good', where
there is deficiency, report the roadmap for fixing the deficiency.  Note
well the difference between deficiency and differing opinions as to how
something should be done.

-d

--
>:>
I may have the information you need and I may choose only HTML.  It's up to you.