Compaq iPAQ and Postgresql

From
"David M. Richter"
Date:
Hello folks!

We are using a Compaq iPAQ with 32 MB of RaM.
Now we thinking about the size of the postmaster, because we wanna use
Postgres on it.
If we are performing big Querys, the used size of the postmaster could
be more than 32 MB.

It would be a good idea, if the

   postmaster would send a Warning signal, if the Ram is full,
   or otherwise
   could I limit the space for the postmaster?

DO You have anything Experience with POSTGRESQL on
PDA(Personal Digital Assistant) or other little Computers?

All suggestions will receive my gratitudes

       David

Attachment

Re: Compaq iPAQ and Postgresql

From
A_Schnabel@t-online.de (Andre Schnabel)
Date:
Hi David,

I am running PostgreSQL on a Cyrix 686 - Linux box with only 32MB of RAM.
(For a while even with 16 MB).
But there is no real data ... less than 100 rows in two or three tables.

AFAIK there should be no problem with low RAM ... but performance will slow
down.
There should be some hints on tuning postgres at the tech docs. Maybe these
would be helpfull to reduce RAM-usage (but normally you'll find hint, how to
increase it ;-).

Andre

> We are using a Compaq iPAQ with 32 MB of RaM.
> Now we thinking about the size of the postmaster, because we wanna use
> Postgres on it.
> If we are performing big Querys, the used size of the postmaster could
> be more than 32 MB.
>
> It would be a good idea, if the
>
>    postmaster would send a Warning signal, if the Ram is full,
>    or otherwise
>    could I limit the space for the postmaster?
>

> DO You have anything Experience with POSTGRESQL on
> PDA(Personal Digital Assistant) or other little Computers?
>
> All suggestions will receive my gratitudes
>
>        David

Re: Compaq iPAQ and Postgresql

From
Joseph Shraibman
Date:
But on an ipaq data isn't stored on disk, it is all stored in memory.

Andre Schnabel wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> I am running PostgreSQL on a Cyrix 686 - Linux box with only 32MB of RAM.
> (For a while even with 16 MB).
> But there is no real data ... less than 100 rows in two or three tables.
>
> AFAIK there should be no problem with low RAM ... but performance will slow
> down.
> There should be some hints on tuning postgres at the tech docs. Maybe these
> would be helpfull to reduce RAM-usage (but normally you'll find hint, how to
> increase it ;-).
>

> Andre

Joseph Shraibman
jks@selectacast.net
Increase signal to noise ratio.  http://www.targabot.com

Date:
> But on an ipaq data isn't stored on disk, it is all stored in memory.

Hmmm... sorry,
didn't get that point.

So you'll get a real problem. AFAIK PostgreSQL will use diskspace if more
space is needed for sorts and other things, than RAM is available (better if
neded space exceeds the given values in postgresql.conf) But if disk is in
RAM .....

Maybe one of the developers can tell, what would happen. I think, you would
need a very spezialised code to run on diskless hosts.

Andre

Re: Compaq iPAQ and Postgresql

From
Tilman Schweitzer
Date:
Hi,

we would anyway use a microdrive. We have quite large DICOM images so
only a few would fit into RAMdisk/Flash on the iPAQ. We could use
DICOMDIR then although it's not very performant. Maybe this situtation
changes with 32MB of FlashROM and 64MB of RAM as proposed in future iPAQ
releases.

Tilman

Attachment