WAL

From
Fernando Ipar
Date:
Hi, this is my first message to the list.
I've been looking for some documentation regarding WAL
configuration. Particulary, i want to know if there's
a way to inhibit WAL for a certain table or for
certain periods of time (i.e., during batch loads,
when i don't really care for transaction logging since
if anything goes wrong i can just restart the whole
process without affecting the integrity of the table).

I've searched the archives before asking and the only
thing related to this was found on the hackers list,
it explained how to limit the size and number of
the WAL files, but it involved a patch to the
code. I don't have a problem with patchin the source
if this is the last resource, but it would be
great if this could be done with a configuration
directive (i didn't find anything related to this
on the admin manual so this is probably impossible)
or with a SQL command.

Any help on this subject will be greatly appreciated!! :).

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.
--
Fernando Ipar       -       ipar@ediguay.com.uy

Re: WAL

Date:
> Hi, this is my first message to the list.
> I've been looking for some documentation regarding WAL
> configuration. Particulary, i want to know if there's
> a way to inhibit WAL for a certain table or for
> certain periods of time (i.e., during batch loads,
> when i don't really care for transaction logging since
> if anything goes wrong i can just restart the whole
> process without affecting the integrity of the table).
>
> I've searched the archives before asking and the only
> thing related to this was found on the hackers list,
> it explained how to limit the size and number of
> the WAL files, but it involved a patch to the
> code. I don't have a problem with patchin the source
> if this is the last resource, but it would be
> great if this could be done with a configuration
> directive (i didn't find anything related to this
> on the admin manual so this is probably impossible)
> or with a SQL command.

7.1.3 is only going to use a few log segments no matter how large your
transaction is.  It still does the writes, though.

Re: WAL

Date:
Fernando Ipar <ipar@ediguay.com.uy> writes:
> Any help on this subject will be greatly appreciated!! :).

Update to 7.1.3.

            regards, tom lane