Finding database names for overnight vacuum

From
Stephen Davies
Date:
G'day all.

I have a cron job which vacuums etc all of my databases but it does not
work with 7.1.2 because of the change in structure of .../data/base.

It currently says:

for q in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/*; do
blaa
blaa
done

How does one get an equivalent list of all databases from 7.1.2?
(and where is it documented?)

Cheers and thanks,
Stephen Davies

Stephen Davies Consulting                              scldad@sdc.com.au
Adelaide, South Australia.                             Voice: 08-8177 1595
Computing & Network solutions.                         Fax: 08-8177 0133

Re: Finding database names for overnight vacuum

From
bpalmer
Date:
> I have a cron job which vacuums etc all of my databases but it does not
> work with 7.1.2 because of the change in structure of .../data/base.
>
> It currently says:
>
> for q in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/*; do
> blaa
> blaa
> done
>
> How does one get an equivalent list of all databases from 7.1.2?
> (and where is it documented?)

Not sure where it's documented,  but checkout contrib/oid2name in the
source ball.

- Brandon

 b. palmer,  bpalmer@crimelabs.net            pgp:crimelabs.net/bpalmer.pgp5

Re: Finding database names for overnight vacuum

From
"Oliver Elphick"
Date:
Stephen Davies wrote:
  >G'day all.
  >
  >I have a cron job which vacuums etc all of my databases but it does not
  >work with 7.1.2 because of the change in structure of .../data/base.
  >
  >It currently says:
  >
  >for q in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/*; do
  >blaa
  >blaa
  >done
  >
  >How does one get an equivalent list of all databases from 7.1.2?
  >(and where is it documented?)

psql -l

documented in psql man page

So for your purposes, you want:

$ psql -lt | awk '{print $1}' | grep -v template0
bray
junk
lfix
stjohns
template1

     "But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren,
      concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not,
      even as others which have no hope. For if we believe
      that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also
      which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him."
                                I Thessalonians 4:13,14

RE: Finding database names for overnight vacuum

From
"Andrew Snow"
Date:
Out of curiosity, whats wrong with vacuumdb -a?  ("Vacuum all
databases.")

"Colin 't Hart"
Date:
Quoting Stephen Davies:

> I have a cron job which vacuums etc all of my databases but it does not
> work with 7.1.2 because of the change in structure of .../data/base.
>
> It currently says:
>
> for q in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/*; do
> blaa
> blaa
> done
>
> How does one get an equivalent list of all databases from 7.1.2?
> (and where is it documented?)

In an Oracle install, one has a file /etc/oratab (or something less
world-wide like /usr/share/oracle/oratab)
which lists the available Oracle instances. It also indicates which need to
be started at system boot -- ie. the
script which starts the Oracle instances at system boot checks this file for
which need to be started.

Someone recently posted a patch/contrib item to do this for Postgres.

A logical extension would be to have another field which indicates which
databases need to be VACUUMed
or VACUUM ANALYZEd when the approriate cron job executes.

Cheers,

Colin

Re: Finding database names for overnight vacuum

From
David Ford
Date:
have you tried "psql -l"?

David

bpalmer wrote:

>>I have a cron job which vacuums etc all of my databases but it does not
>>work with 7.1.2 because of the change in structure of .../data/base.
>>
>>It currently says:
>>
>>for q in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/*; do
>>blaa
>>blaa
>>done
>>
>>How does one get an equivalent list of all databases from 7.1.2?
>>(and where is it documented?)
>>

>Not sure where it's documented,  but checkout contrib/oid2name in the
>source ball.
>
>- Brandon

Re: Finding database names for overnight vacuum

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Stephen Davies writes:

> I have a cron job which vacuums etc all of my databases but it does not
> work with 7.1.2 because of the change in structure of .../data/base.

vacuumdb --all

Date:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, David Ford wrote:

> have you tried "psql -l"?
>

> >Not sure where it's documented,  but checkout contrib/oid2name in the
> >source ball.

That's great,  it tells me that there are databases and who owned them,
but not what folder name maps to which database. (IF he really wants to CD
to the folder).

Date:
> On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, David Ford wrote:
>
> > have you tried "psql -l"?
> >

> > >Not sure where it's documented,  but checkout contrib/oid2name in the
> > >source ball.
>
> That's great,  it tells me that there are databases and who owned them,
> but not what folder name maps to which database. (IF he really wants to CD
> to the folder).

/contrib/oid2name