PostgreSQL library functions

From
Jeff Davis
Date:
A question has intrigued me ever since I started to learn about Berkeley
DB (well after I had started using postgres): does PostgreSQL seperate
the data management routines such that I could use them in a way similar
to Berkeley DB? I find the concept useful for people who don't want to
start extra processes for each connection.

Also any comments on the data management abilities of Berkeley DB or
Postgres would be appreciated. I read that MySQL wasn't great for
concurrent access; is this because of Berkeley DB?

Thanks,
         Jeff Davis

Re: PostgreSQL library functions

Date:
> A question has intrigued me ever since I started to learn about Berkeley
> DB (well after I had started using postgres): does PostgreSQL seperate
> the data management routines such that I could use them in a way similar
> to Berkeley DB? I find the concept useful for people who don't want to
> start extra processes for each connection.

Sorry, we don't have any native interfaces to the data files.

> Also any comments on the data management abilities of Berkeley DB or
> Postgres would be appreciated. I read that MySQL wasn't great for
> concurrent access; is this because of Berkeley DB?

We are good for concurrent access.