Problems with Blank space

From
"Eric, Audet"

I am not sure if this is a database issue or a DBI::Pg issue.

When I do a select * from tablea .... all fields specified as fix length text field ... return the data with blank space.

Example:
"Eric" returns "Eric****************" where * are blank spaces.

Is this normal?

Eric

Re: Problems with Blank space

From
"Mitch Vincent"
Date:
Yes, if you're using fixed-length fields then the value is padded out to the
length that the field is fixed to :-)

I'm sure Perl has some facility for stripping NULLs off of strings, I
suggest using it here or changing the data type in PG...

Good luck!!

> I am not sure if this is a database issue or a DBI::Pg issue.
>
> When I do a select * from tablea .... all fields specified as fix length
> text field ... return the data with blank space.
>
> Example:
> "Eric" returns "Eric****************" where * are blank spaces.
>
> Is this normal?
>
> Eric

Re: Problems with Blank space

From
wsheldah@lexmark.com

Perl to strip trailing whitespace from a variable:
$name =~ s/\s+$//;

"Mitch Vincent" <mvincent%cablespeed.com@interlock.lexmark.com> on 08/07/2001
03:26:31 PM

cc:    (bcc: Wesley Sheldahl/Lex/Lexmark)
Subject:  Re: [GENERAL] Problems with Blank space

http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl

Re: Problems with Blank space

From
"Joe Conway"
Date:
> I am not sure if this is a database issue or a DBI::Pg issue.
>
> When I do a select * from tablea .... all fields specified as fix length
> text field ... return the data with blank space.
>
> Example:
> "Eric" returns "Eric****************" where * are blank spaces.
>
> Is this normal?

Yes, use varchar() or text instead of char() if you don't want the spaces.
See:

http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?datatype-character.html

HTH,

-- Joe

Re: Problems with Blank space

From
"Christopher Masto"
Date:
In article <00f701c11f76$dcd5b6c0$1251000a@Mitch>, "Mitch Vincent"
<mvincent@cablespeed.com> wrote:

> Yes, if you're using fixed-length fields then the value is padded out to
> the length that the field is fixed to :-)
>
> I'm sure Perl has some facility for stripping NULLs off of strings, I
> suggest using it here or changing the data type in PG...

What's wrong with "SELECT TRIM(col) ..."?