Index-speeds

From
"Kapil Tilwani"
Date:
Hi,
        Could u just tell me, why do my Access queries run at least 2 times faster than PG queries and 1.5 times faster than MS-SQL.  The query involves one master table containing 10000 records, left - joined for getting Transactional sums from records in other tables...  Purchases, Sales, PurReturns, SalesReturns, OtherIssues.

        It takes 60-75 seconds in access, 100-120 seconds in SQL Server and 150 seconds in PG

        Secondly, is it possible to have an index like :
    create index in_a on a.id where a.id>5000

Thanx
Kapil

Re: Index-speeds

From
GH
Date:
On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 11:35:45PM +0530, some SMTP stream spewed forth:
> Hi,
>         Could you just tell me, why do my Access queries run at
least 2 times faster than PG queries and 1.5 times faster than MS-SQL.
The query involves one master table containing 10000 records, left -
joined for getting Transactional sums from records in other tables...
Purchases, Sales, PurReturns, SalesReturns, OtherIssues.

>         It takes 60-75 seconds in access, 100-120 seconds in SQL Server and 150 seconds in PG

We really need more information. We need things like table definitions
and queries.

>         Secondly, is it possible to have an index like :
>     create index in_a on a.id where a.id>5000

Not in a current release.
There was some really good work done on partial indices recently, I
suspect they will be in 7.2.

> Thanx
> Kapil

gh
--
What, no one sings along with Ricky Martin anymore?
My kid sister does (but then, she prefers pico to vi ...)

Re: Index-speeds

From
"Nils O. Selåsdal"
Date:
On Friday 03 August 2001 19:05, Kapil Tilwani wrote:
> Hi,
>         Could u just tell me, why do my Access queries run at least 2 times
> faster than PG queries and 1.5 times faster than MS-SQL.  The query
> involves one master table containing 10000 records, left - joined for
> getting Transactional sums from records in other tables...  Purchases,
> Sales, PurReturns, SalesReturns, OtherIssues.
>
>         It takes 60-75 seconds in access, 100-120 seconds in SQL Server and
> 150 seconds in PG
>

>         Secondly, is it possible to have an index like :
>     create index in_a on a.id where a.id>5000
I also found postgres extremly slow the first time i tested it, comapring it
to other dbms. That was until someone told me to look at the 'VACUUM ANALYZE'
sql command. Have you ever run that? If not now is the time.

--
Nils O. Selåsdal