creating postgres tables using existing table defs

From
"Susan Lane"
Date:
Hi -

I have just started the process of creating tables in Postgres and I
wondered if there was some way to take existing tables definitions in Oracle
and port them into Postgres.  I have existing create table scripts, but some
of the syntax does not work for Postgres.  Any easy way to do this without
having to rewrite my SQL?

--
Susan Lane
DPN, Incorporated

Re: creating postgres tables using existing table defs

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
Susan Lane wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I have just started the process of creating tables in Postgres and I
> wondered if there was some way to take existing tables definitions in Oracle
> and port them into Postgres.  I have existing create table scripts, but some
> of the syntax does not work for Postgres.  Any easy way to do this without
> having to rewrite my SQL?

    Looked into contrib/oracle ?

Jan

Re: creating postgres tables using existing table defs

From
"Susan Lane"
Date:
No I haven't......I just did a search at altavista, yahoo, and the Oracle
Technology Network  and I can't find much about it (unless it's in German or
French!)  Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
>     Looked into contrib/oracle ?
>

> Jan

Re: Re: creating postgres tables using existing table defs

Date:
> No I haven't......I just did a search at altavista, yahoo, and the Oracle
> Technology Network  and I can't find much about it (unless it's in German or
> French!)  Can you point me in the right direction?

Sure.  Look in the PostgreSQL source tree.  There is a /contrib
directory, and under that their is an /oracle directory.  It is in
there.  I think it converts Oracle dumps to PostgreSQL dumps.

Re: Re: creating postgres tables using existing table defs

From
"Richard Huxton"
From: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>

> > No I haven't......I just did a search at altavista, yahoo, and the
Oracle
> > Technology Network  and I can't find much about it (unless it's in
German or
> > French!)  Can you point me in the right direction?
>
> Sure.  Look in the PostgreSQL source tree.  There is a /contrib
> directory, and under that their is an /oracle directory.  It is in
> there.  I think it converts Oracle dumps to PostgreSQL dumps.

Also - is there not some information on this in the techdocs.postgresql.org
part of the site (got a feeling Roberto Mello might have submitted it)

- Richard Huxton