Hangs with 7.1.2 and vacuum

From
Stephen Robert Norris
Date:
Has anyone else noticed hangs with 7.1.2 and the vacuum statement?

I often get this happening when the vacuum starts and there are other
queries going on. Closing the other connections seems to fix it,
although they all claim to be idle.

This looks like a real problem - is it new to 7.1.2 or has it been
around for a while?

Any help greatly appreciated.

    Stephen

Re: Hangs with 7.1.2 and vacuum

From
Hiroshi Inoue
Date:
Stephen Robert Norris wrote:

> Has anyone else noticed hangs with 7.1.2 and the vacuum statement?
>
> I often get this happening when the vacuum starts and there are other
> queries going on. Closing the other connections seems to fix it,
> although they all claim to be idle.

Are those idle connections out of transactions ?

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

Re: Hangs with 7.1.2 and vacuum

From
Stephen Robert Norris
Date:
On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 05:55:27PM +0900, Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
> Stephen Robert Norris wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone else noticed hangs with 7.1.2 and the vacuum statement?
> >
> > I often get this happening when the vacuum starts and there are other
> > queries going on. Closing the other connections seems to fix it,
> > although they all claim to be idle.
> >

> Are those idle connections out of transactions ?
>
> regards,
> Hiroshi Inoue

Well spotted - I just worked that out :) We are using python, and we've
locally modified the pgdb.py module to not open a transaction; sadly the
person installing one of the client machines missed that step...

Thanks,
    Stephen