Visual Modeling programs

From
Morgan Curley
Date:
Anyone know of any visual modelling apps (like CA's ERWin ) that work well
with pg?
I Have been using erwin but just discovered it isn't creating my pk, fk or
unique constraints.
I am using the odbc v3.0  target repository option in erwin.

Thanks,
Morgan

Re: Visual Modeling programs

From
Ryan Mahoney
Date:
TheKompany is going to release a new program called "Data Architect".  It
will be released this month.  Looks pretty decent, check out:
http://www.thekompany.com/products/dataarchitect/index.php3?dhtml_ok=1

-Ryan Mahoney

At 04:27 PM 7/12/01 -0400, Morgan Curley wrote:

>Anyone know of any visual modelling apps (like CA's ERWin ) that work well
>with pg?
>I Have been using erwin but just discovered it isn't creating my pk, fk or
>unique constraints.
>I am using the odbc v3.0  target repository option in erwin.
>
>Thanks,
>Morgan

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

Re: Visual Modeling programs

Date:
> Anyone know of any visual modelling apps (like CA's ERWin ) that work well
> with pg?
> I Have been using erwin but just discovered it isn't creating my pk, fk or
> unique constraints.
> I am using the odbc v3.0  target repository option in erwin.

Dbdesigner.  Open source.

Re: Visual Modeling programs

Date:
> Anyone know of any visual modelling apps (like CA's ERWin ) that work well
> with pg?
> I Have been using erwin but just discovered it isn't creating my pk, fk or
> unique constraints.
> I am using the odbc v3.0  target repository option in erwin.

Dbdesigner.

Re: Visual Modeling programs

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Hi,

There are a few tools which may do this for you, listed at :

http://techdocs.postgresql.org/oresources.php#erdtools

Hope they are useful.

:)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Anyone know of any visual modelling apps (like CA's ERWin ) that work well
> > with pg?
> > I Have been using erwin but just discovered it isn't creating my pk, fk or
> > unique constraints.
> > I am using the odbc v3.0  target repository option in erwin.
>
> Dbdesigner.  Open source.

Re: Visual Modeling programs

From
Ed Loehr
Date:
Morgan Curley wrote:

> Anyone know of any visual modelling apps (like CA's ERWin ) that work well
> with pg?
> I Have been using erwin but just discovered it isn't creating my pk, fk or
> unique constraints.
> I am using the odbc v3.0  target repository option in erwin.

Morgan,

I had some success using ERWin with pgsql for ER diagrams.  Details are
hazy now, but try telling ERwin it is an Informix schema.  I was
importing (from a sql dump, not via odbc).

Regards,
Ed Loehr

Re: Visual Modeling programs

From
wsheldah@lexmark.com

It looks like they aren't quite ready for a full release yet, and may not even
be ready to save changes made to the table schema, based on what I read at
http://dbdesigner.sourceforge.net/.  It does look promising though.

Bruce Momjian <pgman%candle.pha.pa.us@interlock.lexmark.com> on 07/12/2001
05:39:29 PM

> Anyone know of any visual modelling apps (like CA's ERWin ) that work well
> with pg?
> I Have been using erwin but just discovered it isn't creating my pk, fk or
> unique constraints.
> I am using the odbc v3.0  target repository option in erwin.

Dbdesigner.

http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl

COPY and duplicates

From
Ryan Mahoney
Date:
Is it possible for the COPY command to warn about duplicate key violations
(and not insert them...) but still proceed inserting the rows that do not
cause a violation?  If not, what is the quickest way to deal with this problem?

TIA!

-Ryan Mahoney
---

Re: COPY and duplicates

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 09:40:24AM -0400,
  Ryan Mahoney <ryan@paymentalliance.net> wrote:
> Is it possible for the COPY command to warn about duplicate key violations
> (and not insert them...) but still proceed inserting the rows that do not
> cause a violation?  If not, what is the quickest way to deal with this problem?

You could copy the data into a temporary table and then insert just
run record from a set with the same key into the real table.

Re: COPY and duplicates

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 11:01:28AM -0500,
  Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 09:40:24AM -0400,
>   Ryan Mahoney <ryan@paymentalliance.net> wrote:
> > Is it possible for the COPY command to warn about duplicate key violations
> > (and not insert them...) but still proceed inserting the rows that do not
> > cause a violation?  If not, what is the quickest way to deal with this problem?
>
> You could copy the data into a temporary table and then insert just
> run record from a set with the same key into the real table.

As Ryan pointed out to me, I bolixed up the grammer in my response.

You can do want you want using copy to load a temporary table that
doesn't have a unique key constraint and then use insert to insert
data from a select on the temporary table using the distinct on clause
to pick one record from a set of records with the same key.