Red Hat DB announced - why not PostgreSQL?

From
Adam Rossi
Date:
It looks like Red Hat has announced an open source database called Red Hat
Database:

(via slashdot:)
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/cn/20010619/tc/red_hat_to_play_in_oracle_s_arena_1.html

Why is this not PostgreSQL? Why can't the Red Hat folks sell support to
PostgreSQL, rather than developing another open source database and
supporting that? Is it a conflict with GreatBridge? This looks like it could
have been a great opportunity for PostgreSQL....

- Adam

--
Adam Rossi
President, PlatinumSolutions, Inc.

Re: Red Hat DB announced - why not PostgreSQL?

From
"Mitch Vincent"
Date:
    It's surely based on something else. If it's not, it's initial release
probably won't be worth anything.. I was surprised to see that they didn't
mention what it was based on however I'm sure we'll find out soon....

    Redhat will probably wrap up PG or Interbase and sell it with a support
contract... Oh wait, they did that before with something -- what could that
be? *thinks* :-)

-Mitch

> It looks like Red Hat has announced an open source database called Red Hat
> Database:
>
> (via slashdot:)

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/cn/20010619/tc/red_hat_to_play_in_oracle_s_aren
a_1.html

> Why is this not PostgreSQL? Why can't the Red Hat folks sell support to
> PostgreSQL, rather than developing another open source database and
> supporting that? Is it a conflict with GreatBridge? This looks like it
could
> have been a great opportunity for PostgreSQL....
>
> - Adam
>
> --
> Adam Rossi
> President, PlatinumSolutions, Inc.
> adam.rossi@platinumsolutions.com
> http://www.platinumsolutions.com
> P.O. Box 31  Oakton, VA 22124
> PH: 703.471.9793  FAX: 703.471.7140

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Red Hat DB announced - why not PostgreSQL?

From
Zachary Beane
On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 03:39:44PM -0400, Adam Rossi wrote:
> It looks like Red Hat has announced an open source database called Red Hat
> Database:
>
> (via slashdot:)
> http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/cn/20010619/tc/red_hat_to_play_in_oracle_s_arena_1.html
>
> Why is this not PostgreSQL? Why can't the Red Hat folks sell support to
> PostgreSQL, rather than developing another open source database and
> supporting that? Is it a conflict with GreatBridge? This looks like it could
> have been a great opportunity for PostgreSQL....

This article was written based on some very vague statements made
during a non-technical conference call. I think it would be worth
waiting to see what is formally announced before running too far with
speculation about it.

Zach
--
xach@xach.com     Zachary Beane     http://www.xach.com/

Re: Red Hat DB announced - why not PostgreSQL?

From
"Dave Cramer"
Date:
What makes you think it isn't postgreSQL? Some people are saying that it is.

Dave
> It looks like Red Hat has announced an open source database called Red Hat
> Database:
>
> (via slashdot:)

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/cn/20010619/tc/red_hat_to_play_in_oracle_s_aren
a_1.html

> Why is this not PostgreSQL? Why can't the Red Hat folks sell support to
> PostgreSQL, rather than developing another open source database and
> supporting that? Is it a conflict with GreatBridge? This looks like it
could
> have been a great opportunity for PostgreSQL....
>
> - Adam
>
> --
> Adam Rossi
> President, PlatinumSolutions, Inc.
> adam.rossi@platinumsolutions.com
> http://www.platinumsolutions.com
> P.O. Box 31  Oakton, VA 22124
> PH: 703.471.9793  FAX: 703.471.7140

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Red Hat DB announced - why not PostgreSQL?

From
"Steve Wolfe"
> It looks like Red Hat has announced an open source database called Red
Hat
> Database:
>
> (via slashdot:)

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/cn/20010619/tc/red_hat_to_play_in_oracle_s_ar
ena_1.html

> Why is this not PostgreSQL? Why can't the Red Hat folks sell support to
> PostgreSQL, rather than developing another open source database and
> supporting that? Is it a conflict with GreatBridge? This looks like it
could
> have been a great opportunity for PostgreSQL....

  If it's "Red Hat Database", then not only does it promote their brand
and supposed worth, then people will more readily come to them for a
support contract.  If it were Postgres, they'd probably just sign up to
the mailing list. : )

steve