Red Hat Database

From
Hunter Hillegas
Date:
An article on Slashdot mentions that Red Hat is announcing a database
product next week and there is quite a bit of speculation that it is based
on PostgreSQL. Any info here?

Hunter

Re: Red Hat Database

From
"Dave Cramer"
Date:
I receieved a query from a reporter looking for info; they alledged that
redhat was going to be selling postgres as well. Interesting since both
companies share a common major shareholder.

--dc--
----- Original Message -----
From: "Hunter Hillegas" <lists@lastonepicked.com>
To: "PostgreSQL" <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 2:53 PM
Subject: [GENERAL] Red Hat Database

> An article on Slashdot mentions that Red Hat is announcing a database
> product next week and there is quite a bit of speculation that it is based
> on PostgreSQL. Any info here?
>
> Hunter

Re: Red Hat Database

From
"Norman J. Clarke"
Date:
I received an email from a reporter at Network World confirming that it
was PostgreSQL and asking me for my opinion on the matter.

Norm

--------------------------------------
Norman Clarke
Combimatrix Corp Software Development
Harbour Pointe Tech Center
6500 Harbour Heights Pkwy, Suite 301
Mukilteo, WA 98275

tel: 425.493.2240
fax: 425.493.2010
--------------------------------------

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Hunter Hillegas wrote:

> An article on Slashdot mentions that Red Hat is announcing a database
> product next week and there is quite a bit of speculation that it is based
> on PostgreSQL. Any info here?
>
> Hunter

Re: Red Hat Database

From
"Steve Wolfe"
Date:
  Also.... the comment that RHDB would be better for small businesses than
large ones makes me think that it's not exactly high-performance or
full-featured. : )

steve

Re: Red Hat Database

From
"Gregory Wood"
Date:
>   Also.... the comment that RHDB would be better for small businesses than
> large ones makes me think that it's not exactly high-performance or
> full-featured. : )

I think the comment was more geared towards the enormously expensive support
offered by Oracle and not by Red Hat:

    "For the software to catch on beyond smaller customers, though, Red Hat
will have to offer round-the-clock support, he said. 'At the enterprise
level, they're not going to make a dent. But for small and midsized
companies, they could do pretty well.' "

Greg

Re: Re: Red Hat Database

From
Fabrice Scemama
Date:
Gregory Wood wrote:

> >   Also.... the comment that RHDB would be better for small businesses than
> > large ones makes me think that it's not exactly high-performance or
> > full-featured. : )

Thus, there's no competition between RHDB and Pg :))