SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE on 7.0

From
"Enrico Mangano"
Date:
Hi!!
On a debian 2.2.19:

$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql --version
psql (PostgreSQL) 7.0.3
contains readline, history support
Portions Copyright (c) 1996-2000, PostgreSQL, Inc
Portions Copyright (c) 1996 Regents of the University of California
Read the file COPYRIGHT or use the command \copyright to see the
usage and distribution terms.

uidb=# SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE ;
SET VARIABLE
uidb=# SHOW TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL ;
NOTICE:  TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL is READ COMMITTED
SHOW VARIABLE

Has the variable really been setted?
Is it a bug of the SHOW or what?

Thanks.

Enrico Mangano
Netsoftware Division
______________

NETHOUSE S.R.L.
Cso Re Umberto I, 57 - 10128 Torino - Italy
Tel. +39-011-581.581 - Fax +39-011-581.591
http://www.nethouse.it - mailto:enrico.mangano@nethouse.it

Re: SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE on 7.0

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Enrico Mangano writes:

> uidb=# SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE ;
> SET VARIABLE
> uidb=# SHOW TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL ;
> NOTICE:  TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL is READ COMMITTED
> SHOW VARIABLE
>
> Has the variable really been setted?

Yes, but if was reset after the transaction finished.  What you're after
is SET SESSION CHARACTERISTICS AS TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE
in 7.1.  (Yes, if I had been in charge I would have chosen a more concise
name.)

Re: SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE on 7.0

From
"Yasuo Ohgaki"
Date:
> Enrico Mangano writes:
>
> > uidb=# SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE ;
> > SET VARIABLE
> > uidb=# SHOW TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL ;
> > NOTICE:  TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL is READ COMMITTED
> > SHOW VARIABLE
> >
> > Has the variable really been setted?
>
> Yes, but if was reset after the transaction finished.  What you're after
> is SET SESSION CHARACTERISTICS AS TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE
> in 7.1.  (Yes, if I had been in charge I would have chosen a more concise
> name.)

Setting session characteristics would set it for session, but
I guess he want to set transaction isolation level for a transaction
in this case??
# begin;
# set transaction isolation level serializable;
# show variable;
NOTICE:  TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL is SERIALIZABLE
SHOW VARIABLE
(Don't forget to set isolation level each transaction that needs serializable
level isolation.)
--
Yasuo Ohgaki