total newbie question

From
"Tad Naworal"
Date:
Hi,

I'm trying to add some numeric columns together

select (stotal + ltotal) as total from table where cusid='12123';

I searched the docs and could not find an answer.
any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks
Tad

Re: total newbie question

From
Stephan Szabo
Date:
On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Tad Naworal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to add some numeric columns together
>
> select (stotal + ltotal) as total from table where cusid='12123';
>

> I searched the docs and could not find an answer.
> any help would be greatly appreciated

That should work, what are you seeing?

Re: total newbie question

From
John Burski
Date:
Your syntax is just a bit off.  Try something like

select (column1 + column2) as "Sum" from tablename where cusid = '12123';

It works for me.

--
John Burski
I.T. Manager and Systems Administration

Re: total newbie question

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Tad Naworal writes:

> I'm trying to add some numeric columns together
>
> select (stotal + ltotal) as total from table where cusid='12123';
>
> I searched the docs and could not find an answer.
> any help would be greatly appreciated

That's not a question, that's a statement.  ;-)
What is your question?

Re: total newbie question

From
Nils Zonneveld

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Tad Naworal writes:
>
> > I'm trying to add some numeric columns together
> >
> > select (stotal + ltotal) as total from table where cusid='12123';
> >
> > I searched the docs and could not find an answer.
> > any help would be greatly appreciated
>
> That's not a question, that's a statement.  ;-)
> What is your question?

It could be he's trying to add up a integer and a float?

Nils