7.1 upgrade problems

From
Andreas Tille
Date:
Hello,

I just updated a smaller database with some functions declared

   LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

from 7.0.3 to 7.1 (Debian package 7.1release-4)

The Debian package of postgresql 7.1 replaces the former extra package
postgresql-pl and so I guess that plpgsql support is now included in the
postgresql package.  Unfortunately I get

web=# CREATE FUNCTION changed_at_timestamp ( ) RETURNS opaque AS '
web'#     BEGIN
web'#         NEW.changedat := now();
web'#         RETURN NEW;
web'#     END;
web'# ' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';
ERROR:  Unrecognized language specified in a CREATE FUNCTION: 'plpgsql'.
        Recognized languages are sql, C, internal, and created procedural languages.

I havn't found any hints about special things to do to enable plpgsql.  So
is there any reason why this failed?

Kind regards

         Andreas.

Re: 7.1 upgrade problems

From
Michael Meskes
Date:
On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 04:37:42PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> The Debian package of postgresql 7.1 replaces the former extra package
> postgresql-pl and so I guess that plpgsql support is now included in the
> postgresql package.  Unfortunately I get

It is.

> ERROR:  Unrecognized language specified in a CREATE FUNCTION: 'plpgsql'.
>         Recognized languages are sql, C, internal, and created procedural languages.

Could it be that you did not enable plpgsql? The Debian postinst script should
do this for you:

su postgres -c "/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/enable_lang plpgsql --all"

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Michael@Fam-Meskes.De