setting PGDATESTYLE

From
Stephan Richter
Date:
Hello everyone,

as far as I know, the default DATESTYLE for PostGreSQL is ISO, but my
application (Zope DateTime.py module) is only able to parse the SQL output
of the DATESTYLE. Currently, I make a small entry in the postgresql startup
script, which changes the style forma.

BUT, this gets annoying, since the startup scripts vary for the different
OSs. So here my question: Is there any other way of globally changing the
DATESTYLE to SQL (at compile time or DB creation time)?

Any hints are very much appreciated.

Regards,
Stephan

--
Stephan Richter
CBU - Physics and Chemistry Student

Re: setting PGDATESTYLE

From
Stephan Richter
Date:
Hi Tom.

I basically set it as environment variable now...

>It ought to be settable via postgresql.conf, but currently isn't.

Yeah, that would be the right place. This way I only have to provide this
one file...even can make it part of the installation process...

Regards,
Stephan

--

Date:
Stephan Richter <srichter@cbu.edu> writes:
> So here my question: Is there any other way of globally changing the
> DATESTYLE to SQL (at compile time or DB creation time)?

You can set it via an environment variable in the postmaster's
environment.  See the docs.

It ought to be settable via postgresql.conf, but currently isn't.

            regards, tom lane

Re: postgresql.conf file

From
Penguin
Date:
On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 06:25:59PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

>Stephan Richter <srichter@cbu.edu> writes:
> So here my question: Is there any other way of globally changing the
> DATESTYLE to SQL (at compile time or DB creation time)?
>
>You can set it via an environment variable in the postmaster's
>environment.  See the docs.
>
>It ought to be settable via postgresql.conf, but currently isn't.

Is there any file called postgresql.conf ? Where is it ?
The default installation does not create any such file.

Sorry for this silly question.

Warm Regards

--
Rajesh Fowkar
V. S. DEMPO & CO. LTD., PANAJI-GOA

Email ID : Mail@dempos.com, rfowkar@yahoo.com
Web Site : http://www.dempos.com

Re: Re: postgresql.conf file

From
Andrew Gould
Date:
What version of PostgreSQL are you running?  I think
the postgresql.conf file is pretty new (7.1.1?).

Andrew

--- Penguin <Mail@dempos.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 06:25:59PM -0400, Tom Lane
> wrote:
>
> >Stephan Richter <srichter@cbu.edu> writes:
> > So here my question: Is there any other way of
> globally changing the
> > DATESTYLE to SQL (at compile time or DB creation
> time)?
> >
> >You can set it via an environment variable in the
> postmaster's
> >environment.  See the docs.
> >
> >It ought to be settable via postgresql.conf, but
> currently isn't.
>
> Is there any file called postgresql.conf ? Where is
> it ?
> The default installation does not create any such
> file.
>
> Sorry for this silly question.
>
> Warm Regards
>
> --
> Rajesh Fowkar
> V. S. DEMPO & CO. LTD., PANAJI-GOA
>
> Email ID : Mail@dempos.com, rfowkar@yahoo.com
> Web Site : http://www.dempos.com

Re: Re: postgresql.conf file

From
will trillich
Date:
On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 02:10:40PM +0530, Penguin wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 06:25:59PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> >Stephan Richter <srichter@cbu.edu> writes:
> > So here my question: Is there any other way of globally changing the
> > DATESTYLE to SQL (at compile time or DB creation time)?
> >
> >You can set it via an environment variable in the postmaster's
> >environment.  See the docs.
> >
> >It ought to be settable via postgresql.conf, but currently isn't.
>
> Is there any file called postgresql.conf ? Where is it ?
> The default installation does not create any such file.
>
> Sorry for this silly question.

not so silly, if you ask me. on my v7.0.3 setup (i use debian
2.2/potato) my /etc/postgresql dir looks like

    % ls /etc/postgresql
    pg_geqo
    pg_hba.conf
    pg_ident.conf
    pg_options
    postgresql.env
    postmaster.init
    postmaster.opts.default

so maybe they're referring to pg_hba.conf -- or, it may be part
of the source file set whereby compile-time options are set.
just guessing, of course; i could be wrong on both counts.

--
I figure: if a man's gonna gamble, may as well do it
without plowing.   -- Bama Dillert, "Some Came Running"

will@serensoft.com