OID wrap around

From
"Thalis A. Kalfigopoulos"
Date:
Someone mentioned the OIDs are unique for every row for an entire database cluster. I also notice that they are not
beingreused (like a sequence).  Will they wrap around as soon as the 2^32 boundary is hit?

TIA,
thalis

RE: OID wrap around

From
Date:
Remembering past discussions: Yes OID's wrap around. When this happens,
they will not nesecarily be unique anymore. Apparently this should not
be a problem unless one has queries that specifically use OID's. INT8
OID's have been talked about and will probably be implemented  some day.

Jeff

Someone mentioned the OIDs are unique for every row for an entire
database cluster. I also notice that they are not being reused (like a
sequence).  Will they wrap around as soon as the 2^32 boundary is hit?

Re: OID wrap around

From
"Steve O'Hagan"
Date:
But when I've finished calculating the 4 billion names of God, it wont
matter anyway - end of universe as we know it . . .  ;-)

Regards.
SGO.
<jeff.fitzmyers@managestar.com> wrote in message
> Remembering past discussions: Yes OID's wrap around. When this happens,
> they will not nesecarily be unique anymore. Apparently this should not
> be a problem unless one has queries that specifically use OID's. INT8
> OID's have been talked about and will probably be implemented  some day.
>
> Jeff
> >>>>>
> Someone mentioned the OIDs are unique for every row for an entire
> database cluster. I also notice that they are not being reused (like a
> sequence).  Will they wrap around as soon as the 2^32 boundary is hit?

Re: Re: OID wrap around

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
Steve O'Hagan wrote:
> But when I've finished calculating the 4 billion names of God, it wont
> matter anyway - end of universe as we know it . . .  ;-)

Yepp, "as we know it".

    At  that  moment  the  universe will be replaced by something
    that, in contrast to the current placeholder, *makes  sense*.

Jan