Incrementing a date type.

From
"DC"
Date:
I have an event that is three days long. In a table I want to be able to
enter Friday date and have Saturdays and Sundays fill in automatically. It
also has to check for the month/# of days in...
Example
input : Friday=6-1-2001
autoadd: Saturday=6-2-2001
autoadd: Sunday=6-3-2001

Example 2
input: Friday=June 29
autoadd: Saturday=June 30
autoadd Sunday=July 1

If this can not be done easily (as I'm no expert) please advise.
The reason I would like to do this automatically is to eliminate errors.

Re: Incrementing a date type.

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 12:17:47PM -0500,
  DC <danc@bspmail.com> wrote:
> I have an event that is three days long. In a table I want to be able to
> enter Friday date and have Saturdays and Sundays fill in automatically. It
> also has to check for the month/# of days in...

You can add intervals to timestamps. If you use an interval of 1 day, this will
probably do what you want.

Re: Incrementing a date type.

From
"Ian Harding"
Date:
Except for Oct 28th if you live in a timezone that does daylight savings.

Ian A. Harding
Programmer/Analyst II
Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department
(253) 798-3549
mailto: ianh@tpchd.org

  DC <danc@bspmail.com> wrote:
> I have an event that is three days long. In a table I want to be able to
> enter Friday date and have Saturdays and Sundays fill in automatically. It
> also has to check for the month/# of days in...

You can add intervals to timestamps. If you use an interval of 1 day, this will
probably do what you want.

Re: Re: Incrementing a date type.

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 08:51:16AM -0700, Ian Harding wrote:
> Except for Oct 28th if you live in a timezone that does daylight savings.

What I do is add 18 hours and the cast to date, truncating it back. Then
dailylight saving has no effect.

--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/

Re: Re: Incrementing a date type.

From
will trillich
Date:
On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 08:59:00AM -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 12:17:47PM -0500,
>   DC <danc@bspmail.com> wrote:
> > I have an event that is three days long. In a table I want to be able to
> > enter Friday date and have Saturdays and Sundays fill in automatically. It
> > also has to check for the month/# of days in...
>
> You can add intervals to timestamps. If you use an interval of 1 day, this will
> probably do what you want.

for example --

    select 'april 19, 2001'::date + interval('2 week');

or, just for confusion,

    select date('april 19, 2001') + '2 week'::interval;

check the docs on what keywords are acceptable intervals. it's
wonderful.

#95: We are waking up and linking to each other. We are watching. But
we are not waiting.  -- www.cluetrain.com

will@serensoft.com