set transaction question

From
HYip
Date:
Inside a transaction,

I insert a row into the table, with an autonumber id.
Now I want to return the id of the newly inserted row.  How can I do
that?

It seems that the first insert statement is not committed, and so the
second statement couldn't return the newly id.

I looked at the set transaction, but it doesn't seem to provide a way to
set transaction write committed.

Thanks,

Re: set transaction question

From
"Gregory Wood"
Date:
> Inside a transaction,
>
> I insert a row into the table, with an autonumber id.
> Now I want to return the id of the newly inserted row.  How can I do
> that?
>
> It seems that the first insert statement is not committed, and so the
> second statement couldn't return the newly id.

SELECT currval('table_field_seq'); should work fine from inside a
transaction. The reason is that it retrieves the last value of the sequence
that was used by that backend, *not* the last value inserted into the table.
Therefore, it doesn't matter whether that value was committed or not.

Greg