Newbe questions: Setting Passwords

From
Anatole Varin
Date:
Hi,
I'm new to this list and Postgres. I have Postgres up and running, but I'm
having trouble understanding the password system. In particular, I have the
following troubles:
1. Is it correct that users can only be given permissions on a particular
TABLE?
2. The owner of all my tables are listed as "postgres". Should I then be
using this "postgres" as the user name when I'm connecting (I'll be
connecting with PHP).
3. How can I change the password of "postgres"?

Sorry for the base-ness of the above questions, but your input would save me
a lot of grief.

- anatole

Re: Newbe questions: Setting Passwords

From
John Clark Naldoza y Lopez
Date:
Hi,

You could use the following...;-)

psql -U postgres template1

UPDATE pg_shadow SET passwd='whatever' WHERE usename='postgres';

You could also use GRANT or create other users as well...  kindly check
the administrative section of your documentation...;-)

Cheers,

John Clark

Re: Newbe questions: Setting Passwords

From
Anatole Varin
Date:
Hi,
Thanks for your advice. I set my password as you advised below, however I'm
still having some problems connecting. When I try to connect I get the
following error message:

Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: FATAL 1: SetUserId: user 'password='
is not in 'pg_shadow'

When connecting I'm using username "postgres" and the password that I used
when I updated the pg_shadow file as suggested. Any ideas???

Date:
Anatole Varin wrote:

> Hi,
> Thanks for your advice. I set my password as you advised below, however I'm
> still having some problems connecting. When I try to connect I get the
> following error message:
>
> Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: FATAL 1: SetUserId: user 'password='
> is not in 'pg_shadow'
>
> When connecting I'm using username "postgres" and the password that I used
> when I updated the pg_shadow file as suggested. Any ideas???
>
> > Hi,
> >

> > You could use the following...;-)
> >

> > psql -U postgres template1
> >
> > UPDATE pg_shadow SET passwd='whatever' WHERE usename='postgres';

I don't believe I've had the pleasure of this problem before...;-)

Would you mind showing us your exact command, that you tried to execute
to get into your postgresql database?  (Maybe a little cut and
paste...;-))

Is your PostgreSQL database part of your server?  Or at another
server...

And kindly check this file (I assuming youe got PostgreSQL 7.x)

/var/lib/pgsql/data/postmaster.opts.default

If you have a "-i" in this file.

HTH,

Cheers,

John Clark

Re: Newbe questions: Setting Passwords

Date:
>> Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: FATAL 1: SetUserId: user 'password='
>> is not in 'pg_shadow'

Some kind of syntactic confusion at the client end, evidently: the
software is taking "password=" as your username, which I'm pretty
sure is not what you intended.

            regards, tom lane

Timestamp Format

From