I need a jump start

From
Scott Holmes
Date:
I need to write a C program that will require libpq and ecpg.  I'm hoping
someone can point me to an example.  I'm not a C programmer, so I need a crash
course or jump start.  The original program has existed as an Informix 4GL
program for many years.  We have lately been converting our application to
PostgreSQL.  All the user interfaces have been written with a rather obscure
set of tools to be run on Windows clients.  This particular program needs to
be run with cron on the server.  Essentially, it will scan a relatively short
list of records, compare values with records or tuples from a relatively large
table then insert into and or update other tables.  Interestingly enough, the
first table's name is trigger.  As most of the actions required are time
delayed (days or weeks), triggers are not a viable option for this.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an existing program or code I can study to
give myself a leg up on this?

Thanks, Scott

Re: I need a jump start

From
"Eric G. Miller"
Date:
On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 08:36:59PM -0700, Scott Holmes wrote:
> I need to write a C program that will require libpq and ecpg.  I'm hoping
> someone can point me to an example.  I'm not a C programmer, so I need a crash
> course or jump start.  The original program has existed as an Informix 4GL
> program for many years.  We have lately been converting our application to
> PostgreSQL.  All the user interfaces have been written with a rather obscure
> set of tools to be run on Windows clients.  This particular program needs to
> be run with cron on the server.  Essentially, it will scan a relatively short
> list of records, compare values with records or tuples from a relatively large
> table then insert into and or update other tables.  Interestingly enough, the
> first table's name is trigger.  As most of the actions required are time
> delayed (days or weeks), triggers are not a viable option for this.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion for an existing program or code I can study to
> give myself a leg up on this?

Maybe a plpgsql function and a shell script would be easier for you?
Sounds like most of the work can be done by PostgreSQL itself with
standard SQL and a few flow control mechanisms (like in plpgsql).
Anyway, there are some examples in the programming manual for all of the
above...

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>