In a fix: lost superuser

From
Ken
Date:
Is there any way to reset the superuser password
if it has been lost? I thought it was set properly
but it is now among the ethers, and none of the other
accounts have superuser privileges. I've tried replacing
pg_shadow with another in hopes of resetting the darn
thing, but alas. Do I have to re-install postgres?
Is there any way for the root user to reset the password?

_Ken

Re: In a fix: lost superuser

From
jdassen@cistron.nl (J.H.M. Dassen (Ray))
Date:
> Is there any way to reset the superuser password if it has been lost?

I haven't tried it, but I guess the following should work:
- As root, edit the pg_hba.conf to allow access without the postgres
  superuser password
    "host all 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 trust"
- connect to postgres
    "psql -U postgres template1"
- put a new password on the postgres user
    "alter user postgresql with password 'fubar'"
- restore the old pg_hba.conf

HTH,
Ray
--
NATUURLIJK krijg je er geen signaal doorheen - het is *dark* fibre.
    jtv

Re: In a fix: lost superuser

From
Holger Klawitter
Ken wrote:

> Is there any way to reset the superuser password
> if it has been lost? I thought it was set properly
> but it is now among the ethers, and none of the other
> accounts have superuser privileges. I've tried replacing
> pg_shadow with another in hopes of resetting the darn
> thing, but alas. Do I have to re-install postgres?
> Is there any way for the root user to reset the password?

You can modify pg_hba.conf in order to "trust" the PG_USER
setting of the client. Then you can modify the internal system
tables in order to reset the password.

With kind regards / Mit freundlichem Gruß
    Holger Klawitter
--
Holger Klawitter
holger@klawitter.de                             http://www.klawitter.de