What's the best front end/client under MS Windows?

From
Walter Chong
Date:
Kindly list the advantages/disadvantages for me, THX!

Re: What's the best front end/client under MS Windows?

From
"Gregory Wood"
Date:
I'm partial to the ZEOS Database Explorer myself. I don't have experience
with a multitude of tools, so the best I can offer is that I have no
problems with the latest version :) Actually, I can tell you that it has the
advantage of a native interface (rather than relying on ODBC). And it's
free, that's always an advantage.

Oh, and it does have the disadvantage of not showing NOTICEs, which is a
pain in the ass when doing benchmarking via EXPLAIN, for which I'm forced to
use psql. There were some problems in older versions (specifically it was
having trouble stripping out spaces on newlines and with quoting on
triggers), but those problems seem to be resolved with the latest version.
It's not the most stable program, but most people don't use Windows for
stability...

Address is http://www.zeoslib.org/  but it appears to be down at the moment.

Greg

> Kindly list the advantages/disadvantages for me, THX!

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Re: What's the best front end/client under MS Windows?

From
"Thalis A. Kalfigopoulos"
Date:
On Mon, 14 May 2001, Gregory Wood wrote:

> I'm partial to the ZEOS Database Explorer myself. I don't have experience
> with a multitude of tools, so the best I can offer is that I have no
> problems with the latest version :) Actually, I can tell you that it has the
> advantage of a native interface (rather than relying on ODBC). And it's
> free, that's always an advantage.
>
> Oh, and it does have the disadvantage of not showing NOTICEs, which is a
> pain in the ass when doing benchmarking via EXPLAIN, for which I'm forced to
> use psql. There were some problems in older versions (specifically it was
> having trouble stripping out spaces on newlines and with quoting on
> triggers), but those problems seem to be resolved with the latest version.
> It's not the most stable program, but most people don't use Windows for
> stability...
>
> Address is http://www.zeoslib.org/  but it appears to be down at the moment.

Actually I found them at http://www.marms.com/zeos/eng/

regards,
thalis

> Greg

Justin Clift
Date:
Hi Greg,

Instead of using psql to get the NOTICES, when I program in PL/pgSQL, I
start the database with -d 2 (debug level of 2) and this forces the
NOTICES into the PostgreSQL log file.

Then, I just have a telnet/ssh/etc session on the server running :

tail -f postgresql.log

So I constantly have access to the NOTICES which PostgreSQL generates,
regardless of how I'm hitting it.

Would this be useful to you?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Gregory Wood wrote:

> I'm partial to the ZEOS Database Explorer myself. I don't have experience
> with a multitude of tools, so the best I can offer is that I have no
> problems with the latest version :) Actually, I can tell you that it has the
> advantage of a native interface (rather than relying on ODBC). And it's
> free, that's always an advantage.
>
> Oh, and it does have the disadvantage of not showing NOTICEs, which is a
> pain in the ass when doing benchmarking via EXPLAIN, for which I'm forced to
> use psql. There were some problems in older versions (specifically it was
> having trouble stripping out spaces on newlines and with quoting on
> triggers), but those problems seem to be resolved with the latest version.
> It's not the most stable program, but most people don't use Windows for
> stability...
>
> Address is http://www.zeoslib.org/  but it appears to be down at the moment.
>
> Greg

     - Indira Gandhi

Date:
> Then, I just have a telnet/ssh/etc session on the server running :

> Would this be useful to you?

Seem just as easy to run psql to me. In fact a bit easier as I don't have to
switch back and forth between windows.

I guess it goes back to the days when I was first learning SQL on a MySQL
web database... I didn't have telnet access so I had to do everything via
PHP or their WebAdmin tool (which used... PHP). So anytime I see something
that requires some sort of shell access I don't like it. EXPLAIN is one of
those things.

Greg

Re: Re: Re: What's the best front end/client under MS Windows?

Date:
"Gregory Wood" <gregw@com-stock.com> writes:
> ... So anytime I see something that requires some sort of shell access
> I don't like it. EXPLAIN is one of those things.

Huh?  EXPLAIN doesn't require shell access ... it merely requires a
client that doesn't drop NOTICE messages into the bit bucket.

Clients that drop NOTICEs are broken for a number of reasons besides
EXPLAIN, anyway.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
> > ... So anytime I see something that requires some sort of shell access
> > I don't like it. EXPLAIN is one of those things.
>
> Huh?  EXPLAIN doesn't require shell access ... it merely requires a
> client that doesn't drop NOTICE messages into the bit bucket.
>
> Clients that drop NOTICEs are broken for a number of reasons besides
> EXPLAIN, anyway.

Very poor choice of wording on my part... my apologies.

How are clients that drop NOTICEs broken though?

Greg

Re: Re: Re: Re: What's the best front end/client under MS Windows?

Date:
"Gregory Wood" <gregw@com-stock.com> writes:
> How are clients that drop NOTICEs broken though?

Because you want to be able to see NOTICEs ... at least if you are doing
SQL development.  (I don't object to optionally dropping them, but I
think the default should be to show 'em, at least in interactive work.)

            regards, tom lane

Re: What's the best front end/client under MS Windows?

From
Per-Olof Pettersson
Date:
Hi

I like WinSQL LITE.
There you get all messages.

You can get it from:
http://www.indus-soft.com/

It uses ODBC to connect.

Best regards
Per-Olof Pettersson

On 2001-05-14, 16:33:08, gregw@com-stock.com ("Gregory Wood") wrote
regarding Re: What's the best front end/client under MS Windows?:

> I'm partial to the ZEOS Database Explorer myself. I don't have experience
> with a multitude of tools, so the best I can offer is that I have no
> problems with the latest version :) Actually, I can tell you that it has
the
> advantage of a native interface (rather than relying on ODBC). And it's
> free, that's always an advantage.

> Oh, and it does have the disadvantage of not showing NOTICEs, which is a
> pain in the ass when doing benchmarking via EXPLAIN, for which I'm forced
> use psql. There were some problems in older versions (specifically it was
> having trouble stripping out spaces on newlines and with quoting on
> triggers), but those problems seem to be resolved with the latest
version.
> It's not the most stable program, but most people don't use Windows for
> stability...

> Address is http://www.zeoslib.org/  but it appears to be down at the
moment.

> Greg

"Brent R. Matzelle"
Date:
> Hi I like WinSQL LITE.
> There you get all messages. You can get it from:
> http://www.indus-soft.com/
> It uses ODBC to connect.
>
> Best regards
> Per-Olof Pettersson

I tried WinSQL Lite with the newest PsqlODBC driver on Postgres
7.0.3 and I didn't get the NOTICE messages when I ran a query
using EXPLAIN.  How then did you manage get them?

Thanks much,

Brent