Question on Starting Postgres for the first time

From
"David Stevenson"
Date:
I am a new user of PostgreSQL and Linux.  I have my Linux up and running and
my PostgreSQl semi-configured.  I can get into PostgreSQL using super user
on root and then super user into postgres.  The problem is when I try to run
psql and createdb from my home directory.  When I do that, I get the
following messages

$ createdb david
psql: FATAL 1:  SetUserId: user 'david' is not in 'pg_shadow'

$ psql
psql: FATAL 1:  Database "david" does not exist in the system catalog.

Not sure what is going on here, but I think someone out there does.  Can you
help.

Thanks
Dave

RE: Question on Starting Postgres for the first time

From
Alexander Dederer
Date:
>  I can get into PostgreSQL using super user
> on root and then super user into postgres.  The problem is when I
> try to run psql and createdb from my home directory.  When I do that,
> I get the following messages.
Use first:
$ initdb -D /home/david/pg-data  # Only Example.

Re: Question on Starting Postgres for the first time

From
Janning Vygen
Date:
Am Samstag, 12. Mai 2001 18:00 schrieb David Stevenson:
> I am a new user of PostgreSQL and Linux.  I have my Linux up and running
> and my PostgreSQl semi-configured.  I can get into PostgreSQL using super
> user on root and then super user into postgres.  The problem is when I try
> to run psql and createdb from my home directory.  When I do that, I get the
> following messages
>
> $ createdb david
> psql: FATAL 1:  SetUserId: user 'david' is not in 'pg_shadow'

change to root and call

createuser

consult man createuser or the postgres manual for further instructions.
create a user called david
[hint: linux system users and postgers users can vary and often do, there is
no link between system users and postgres users]

change to your user account david and connect with psql

janning

--
Planwerk 6 /websolutions
Herzogstraße 86

fon 0211-6015919
fax 0211-6015917
http://www.planwerk6.de

missive@frontiernet.net (Lee Harr)
Date:
On Sat, 12 May 2001 13:00:35 -0300, David Stevenson <dstevenson@eastlink.ca>
wrote:
> I am a new user of PostgreSQL and Linux.  I have my Linux up and running and
> my PostgreSQl semi-configured.  I can get into PostgreSQL using super user
> on root and then super user into postgres.  The problem is when I try to run
> psql and createdb from my home directory.  When I do that, I get the
> following messages

I think first you must, as the superuser

createuser david

and then: