Norm SQL?

From
Renaud Thonnart
Date:
Which is the SQL norm of  PostgreSQL?

I suppose it is SQL3 ?

Sincerely,
Renaud THONNART

Re: Norm SQL?

Date:
Renaud Thonnart <thonnart@amwdb.u-strasbg.fr> writes:
> Which is the SQL norm of  PostgreSQL?
> I suppose it is SQL3 ?

AFAIK, SQL3 is not a recognized standard.  We are converging (slowly)
on full support for SQL92, and we have some SQL99 features (and will
have more over time, no doubt).

I am not sure that we will ever be 100% compliant with either spec,
however.  There are legacy things that we don't particularly want to
change --- for example, the choice of lower rather than upper case as
the default case folding for identifiers.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Norm SQL?

From
Renaud Thonnart
Tom Lane wrote:

> Renaud Thonnart <thonnart@amwdb.u-strasbg.fr> writes:
> > Which is the SQL norm of  PostgreSQL?
> > I suppose it is SQL3 ?
>
> AFAIK, SQL3 is not a recognized standard.  We are converging (slowly)
> on full support for SQL92, and we have some SQL99 features (and will
> have more over time, no doubt).
>
> I am not sure that we will ever be 100% compliant with either spec,
> however.  There are legacy things that we don't particularly want to
> change --- for example, the choice of lower rather than upper case as
> the default case folding for identifiers.
>
>                         regards, tom lane

Thank you for your explaination Tom.
Sincerly,
Renaud THONNART

Re: Norm SQL?

From
Karl DeBisschop
Tom Lane wrote:

> Renaud Thonnart <thonnart@amwdb.u-strasbg.fr> writes:
> > Which is the SQL norm of  PostgreSQL?
> > I suppose it is SQL3 ?
>
> AFAIK, SQL3 is not a recognized standard.  We are converging (slowly)
> on full support for SQL92, and we have some SQL99 features (and will
> have more over time, no doubt).

AFAIK, yes and no. SQL3 is not a standard. It was the name of the working group that produced the standard often
referredto as SQL99.

However, niether of these terms appear if you search the ANSI or ISO sites. The actual standards are 'ISO/IEC 9075' and
'ANSI/ISO/IEC9075', and they are approved.

--
Karl