Newbie Question

From
"Clay & Judi Kinney"
Date:
How do I create an autoincrement field in a postgresql table???

What are the correct field type and parameters????

Any help would be appreciated.....

Thanks

Clay

Re: Newbie Question

From
Ludwig Meyerhoff
Date:
Hallo!

> How do I create an autoincrement field in a postgresql table???
> What are the correct field type and parameters????
Well, what about using sequences?
create sequence tralalala;
create table huibui
(
  id integer primary key default nextval('tralalala'),
  field1 references table1,
  and-so-on references all-other-tables
);

How, each time You insert some data in huibui using
insert into huibui (field1, and-son-on) values (?, ..);
the 'tralala' counter will be increased by one (nextval).

Saluti!

Ludwig

Re: Newbie Question

From
"Mitch Vincent"
Date:
You *really* should go glance over the manual.. There is the field type
SERIAL and things called sequences, both could be what you're talking
about....The rest I'll leave up to you :-)

Good luck!!!

-Mitch

> How do I create an autoincrement field in a postgresql table???
>
> What are the correct field type and parameters????
>
> Any help would be appreciated.....
>
> Thanks
>
> Clay

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Newbie Question

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Clay & Judi Kinney writes:

> How do I create an autoincrement field in a postgresql table???

See FAQ.

Re: Newbie Question

From
Joel Burton
Date:
On Tue, 1 May 2001, Clay & Judi Kinney wrote:

> How do I create an autoincrement field in a postgresql table???
>
> What are the correct field type and parameters????
>
> Any help would be appreciated.....

CREATE TABLE foo (
  id SERIAL,
)

it comes out as an int4 or integer type.

--
Joel Burton   <jburton@scw.org>