Getting a list of fields in a table...

From
"Rich Henry"
Date:
I'm looking for a solution to getting the fields in a table without
running some random query on the system, can anyone share
the SQL with me to get this done and anything special that would
need to be done with libpq would also be appreciated...

Re: Getting a list of fields in a table...

From
Frank Miles
Date:
> I'm looking for a solution to getting the fields in a table without
> running some random query on the system, can anyone share
> the SQL with me to get this done and anything special that would
> need to be done with libpq would also be appreciated...

Dear Rich:

    Sorry this isn't a complete answer.  If you really need SQL
(rather than \d inside psql) there is a way to find out the SQL commands
psql uses to perform its special commands.  This subject has been on
the newsgroup in the "recent past" -- sorry, don't have anything exact.
Alternatively you can invoke psql with a shell script, something like:
    psql -s <database name> -t <table name>
which will cause the schema to be sent to stdout.  I'm not sure what
you want to do via libpq, though once you have the SQL strings you could
use any number of methods to access the schema.

Hope this helps!

    -frank

Re: Getting a list of fields in a table...

From
"Mitch Vincent"
Date:
Use psql -E, that will show you the queries the commands generate (try \d
<tablename> and check out the query)..

-Mitch