starting personal postmaster

From
Stefan Karrmann
Date:
How can I start a personal postmaster, e.g. the postmaster should
manage a database cluster in ~/pgdata/.

I'm using the Debian package of postgresql (7.0.3) and it want's to create
a socket at /var/run/postgres/.s.PORT.sock (or something similiar).
As I am not user postgres I dont have the permission to do this.
This seems to be the only problem to start postgres on an user account.
Is this Debian specific? Are there methods to avoid this?

I tried:
$ mkdir ~/pgdata
$ initdb -D ~/pgdata
$ postmaster -D ~/pgdata

Please CC answers to me <sk@mathematik.uni-ulm.de>.

Stefan Karrmann

Re: starting personal postmaster

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Stefan Karrmann writes:

> How can I start a personal postmaster, e.g. the postmaster should
> manage a database cluster in ~/pgdata/.
>
> I'm using the Debian package of postgresql (7.0.3) and it want's to create
> a socket at /var/run/postgres/.s.PORT.sock (or something similiar).
> As I am not user postgres I dont have the permission to do this.
> This seems to be the only problem to start postgres on an user account.
> Is this Debian specific? Are there methods to avoid this?

Yes.  Uninstall the package, install from source.

Alternative 1: Change the permissions on /var/run/postgres.

Alternative 2: Use the postmaster -k option, but your client programs are
not going to see that.