bpchar type

From
Patrick Dunford
Date:
I have some tables that I copied to a Postgres server from MS Access. The
original tables were Paradox.

In fields that were originally Paradox Logical type, MS Access shows in the
ODBC linked Postgres tables that the datatype of these fields is Text with a
length of 1 character (Text being the MS Access type representation of what
is on the server, not the server's datatype).

Zeos Database Explorer shows the type of these fields to be "bpchar", is
this a Postgres data type?

Patrick Dunford, Christchurch, NZ - http://pdunford.godzone.net.nz/

   But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits
of those who have fallen asleep.
    -- 1 Corinthians 15:20
http://www.heartlight.org/cgi-shl/todaysverse.cgi?day=20010415
Created by Mail2Sig - http://pdunford.godzone.net.nz/software/mail2sig/

Re: bpchar type

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Patrick Dunford writes:

> Zeos Database Explorer shows the type of these fields to be "bpchar", is
> this a Postgres data type?

bpchar is the internal name for char().

Re: bpchar type

From
will trillich
Date:
On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 04:39:50PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Patrick Dunford writes:
>
> > Zeos Database Explorer shows the type of these fields to be "bpchar", is
> > this a Postgres data type?
>
> bpchar is the internal name for char().

short for "blank-padded character". as opposed to varchar, which
is either "null-padded char" or "variable-length char" but we
don't have to worry about which. then there's text... hmm!

--
don't visit this page. it's bad for you. take my expert word for it.
http://www.salon.com/people/col/pagl/2001/03/21/spring/index1.html

will@serensoft.com

Re: bpchar type

From
Patrick Dunford
Date:
On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 17:45:07 +0000 (UTC) AD in
comp.databases.postgresql.general, Peter Eisentraut said:

>Patrick Dunford writes:
>
>> Zeos Database Explorer shows the type of these fields to be "bpchar", is
>> this a Postgres data type?
>
>bpchar is the internal name for char().

interesting the next time I uploaded it correctly converted them to bool

Patrick Dunford, Christchurch, NZ - http://pdunford.godzone.net.nz/

   Then the end will come, when he hands over the kingdom to God
the Father after he has destroyed all dominion, authority and
power.
    -- 1 Corinthians 15:24
http://www.heartlight.org/cgi-shl/todaysverse.cgi?day=20010416
Created by Mail2Sig - http://pdunford.godzone.net.nz/software/mail2sig/