Address already in use?

From
"Justin S."
Date:
Hi Everyone,

Alright, I've installed PostgreSQL 7.0.3 succesfully, but I still have a
problem. When I try starting the PostgreSQL server, using the following
command:

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

I get the following error:

FATAL: StreamServerPort: bind() failed: Address already in use
        Is another postmaster already running on that port?
        If not, remove socket node (/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432) and retry.

Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.

Sincerely,

Justin Stayton
CometFly Media, LLC.
jstayton@cometfly.com

Re: Address already in use?

From
Victor Ivanov
Date:
On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 11:20:29PM -0400, Justin S. wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Alright, I've installed PostgreSQL 7.0.3 succesfully, but I still have a
> problem. When I try starting the PostgreSQL server, using the following
> command:
>
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
>
> I get the following error:
>
> FATAL: StreamServerPort: bind() failed: Address already in use
>         Is another postmaster already running on that port?
>         If not, remove socket node (/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432) and retry.
>
> Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.

This happens if postgresql was not able to quit the normal way IMO. Delete
the socket and run it again.

You need to clean /tmp when the system boots. Most system have this option
(on FreeBSD put clear_tmp_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf). If you can't find
it add
rm -f /tmp/.s.PGSQL.*
somewhere in the boot scripts as a workaround. You can even put it in the
PGSQL starting script, but it's not a quite good idea...

--
Players win and winners play
Have a lucky day

Attachment

Re: Address already in use?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Justin S. writes:

> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
>
> I get the following error:
>
> FATAL: StreamServerPort: bind() failed: Address already in use
>         Is another postmaster already running on that port?
>         If not, remove socket node (/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432) and retry.
>
> Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.

Is another postmaster already running on that port?  If not, remove socket
node (/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432) and retry.

Re: Address already in use?

From
Yann Ramin
Date:

Simply remove /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.  Its safe to do this in a startup script.
Postgres isn't too good about removing its UNIX socket if it has a
semi-nonclean shutdown (system reboot among other things).

Yann

On Thursday 12 April 2001 08:20 pm, Justin S. wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Alright, I've installed PostgreSQL 7.0.3 succesfully, but I still have a
> problem. When I try starting the PostgreSQL server, using the following
> command:
>
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
>
> I get the following error:
>
> FATAL: StreamServerPort: bind() failed: Address already in use
>         Is another postmaster already running on that port?
>         If not, remove socket node (/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432) and retry.
>
> Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Justin Stayton
> CometFly Media, LLC.
> jstayton@cometfly.com

- --

Yann Ramin            atrus@atrustrivalie.org
Atrus Trivalie Productions    www.redshift.com/~yramin
AIM                oddatrus
Marina, CA            http://profiles.yahoo.com/theatrus

IRM/IRT Developer               DVfootage.com developer
SNTS Developer                  KLevel Developer

When smashing monuments, save the pedstals -- they always come in handy.
        -- Stanislaw J. Lem, "Unkempt Thoughts"

Nothing succeeds like excess.
    - Winston Churchill

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical
universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step
beyond logic.
    - Muad'Dib (Dune, Frank Herbert)

Re: Address already in use?

Date:
Yann Ramin <atrus@atrustrivalie.org> writes:
> Simply remove /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.  Its safe to do this in a startup script.
> Postgres isn't too good about removing its UNIX socket if it has a
> semi-nonclean shutdown (system reboot among other things).

Although that's been a standard workaround for a long time, I've always
considered it fairly dangerous: what if the script is invoked at a time
other than system boot?  Fortunately, it should no longer be necessary
as of Postgres 7.1 --- we now have code to check for and remove a
leftover socket file safely.  I now recommend removing any automatic
socket-file deletion you may have in your startup script.

            regards, tom lane