Virtual domains ?

From
"Kris Van Hulle"
Date:
Hi.

Does PostgreSQL have support for virtual domains ? And if so, how
can i set it up ? (relevant documentation, ...)

Thnx

Kris

Re: Virtual domains ?

Date:
"Kris Van Hulle" <uxs@compulink.gr> writes:
> Does PostgreSQL have support for virtual domains ?

In 7.1 you can configure the postmaster to bind only to one specific IP
address, if that helps.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Virtual domains ?

From
"Kris Van Hulle"
Date:
On 3 Apr 2001, at 10:31, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Kris Van Hulle" <uxs@compulink.gr> writes:
> > Does PostgreSQL have support for virtual domains ?
>
> In 7.1 you can configure the postmaster to bind only to one specific IP
> address, if that helps.

Not really. I want to set up one SQL server, which should have a
different tablespace, userspace, whatever, depending on which
domain the user logs into. Every domain points to the same IP-
address, and the server is on that address.

So, for example, one user connects to the server at
company1.com, and another to the one at company2.com, and
they see a different content, allthough the servers are actually the
same; it's only faking that they're different. (both company1.com
and company2.com point to to same IP)

This is possible for http and ftp-servers, and email (allthough that
seems a bit more difficult), so I was wondering if it was possible for
SQL servers.

Kris

Re: Virtual domains ?

Date:
"Kris Van Hulle" <uxs@compulink.gr> writes:
>> In 7.1 you can configure the postmaster to bind only to one specific IP
>> address, if that helps.
>>
> Not really. I want to set up one SQL server, which should have a
> different tablespace, userspace, whatever, depending on which
> domain the user logs into.

So use a different database for each "domain".

            regards, tom lane

RE: Virtual domains ?

From
Matthew
Date:
> > Does PostgreSQL have support for virtual domains ?
> >
> > In 7.1 you can configure the postmaster to bind only to one specific IP
> > address, if that helps.
> >
> Not really. I want to set up one SQL server, which should have a
> different tablespace, userspace, whatever, depending on which
> domain the user logs into.

    [snip]

    I thought there were patches that allowed this to work.  So that
different users could have their own copy of postgre running.  I would very
much like this also since that would prevent problems with one database
effecting other databases. I know with 7.1 you can specify the unix socket
file location along with a specific port.

Re: Virtual domains ?

From
fabrizio.ermini@sysdat.it
Date:
> "Kris Van Hulle" <uxs@compulink.gr> writes:
> >> In 7.1 you can configure the postmaster to bind only to one specific IP
> >> address, if that helps.
> >>
> > Not really. I want to set up one SQL server, which should have a
> > different tablespace, userspace, whatever, depending on which
> > domain the user logs into.
>
> So use a different database for each "domain".

You could bind postmaster to different ports for each domain,
possibly even with different $PGDATA. So you will have

server 1: www.server1.com, port 5432, user whatever, tablespace
whatever

server 2: www.server2.com, port 5433, user whatever, tablespace
whatever

...and so on...

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Fabrizio Ermini               Alternate E-mail:
C.so Umberto, 7               faermini@tin.it
loc. Meleto Valdarno          Mail on GSM: (keep it short!)
52020 Cavriglia (AR)          faermini@sms.tin.it

Re: Virtual domains ?

From
will trillich
Date:
On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 05:41:54PM +0300, Kris Van Hulle wrote:
> On 3 Apr 2001, at 10:31, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > "Kris Van Hulle" <uxs@compulink.gr> writes:
> > > Does PostgreSQL have support for virtual domains ?
> >
> > In 7.1 you can configure the postmaster to bind only to one specific IP
> > address, if that helps.
> >
> Not really. I want to set up one SQL server, which should have a
> different tablespace, userspace, whatever, depending on which
> domain the user logs into. Every domain points to the same IP-
> address, and the server is on that address.
>
> So, for example, one user connects to the server at
> company1.com, and another to the one at company2.com, and
> they see a different content, allthough the servers are actually the
> same; it's only faking that they're different. (both company1.com
> and company2.com point to to same IP)
>
> This is possible for http and ftp-servers, and email (allthough that
> seems a bit more difficult), so I was wondering if it was possible for
> SQL servers.

from what i know of this, the reason HTTP works with virtual
domains is because the recent web browsers know to send a HOST:
mime header with their requests to the http servers. older web
browsers don't include any such HOST: field, and so wind up
getting the default domain for whatever IP they're requesting
from. (serensoft.com -- to use my example -- serves
dontUthink.com and others; without the HOST: field, my server
will never know to delve into the dontUthink.com document tree,
and would return serensoft.com stuff by default.)

so postgres would then <if guess is correct> need to accomodate
the mime fields in a similar fashion, and clients would need to
generate them, likewise.

probably.

--
americans should never read anything so subversive as what's at
http://www.salon.com/people/col/pagl/2001/03/21/spring/index1.html

will@serensoft.com

Re: Virtual domains ?

From
Joel Burton
Date:
On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, will trillich wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 05:41:54PM +0300, Kris Van Hulle wrote:

> > > In 7.1 you can configure the postmaster to bind only to one specific IP
> > > address, if that helps.
> > >
> > Not really. I want to set up one SQL server, which should have a
> > different tablespace, userspace, whatever, depending on which
> > domain the user logs into. Every domain points to the same IP-
> > address, and the server is on that address.
> >
> > So, for example, one user connects to the server at
> > company1.com, and another to the one at company2.com, and
> > they see a different content, allthough the servers are actually the
> > same; it's only faking that they're different. (both company1.com
> > and company2.com point to to same IP)
> >
> > This is possible for http and ftp-servers, and email (allthough that
> > seems a bit more difficult), so I was wondering if it was possible for
> > SQL servers.
>
> from what i know of this, the reason HTTP works with virtual
> domains is because the recent web browsers know to send a HOST:
> mime header with their requests to the http servers. older web
> browsers don't include any such HOST: field, and so wind up
> getting the default domain for whatever IP they're requesting
> from. (serensoft.com -- to use my example -- serves
> dontUthink.com and others; without the HOST: field, my server
> will never know to delve into the dontUthink.com document tree,
> and would return serensoft.com stuff by default.)
>
> so postgres would then <if guess is correct> need to accomodate
> the mime fields in a similar fashion, and clients would need to
> generate them, likewise.

If you have a shortage of machines, but not of IP addresses, you can bind
multiple IP addresses to the same physical network device. A ipchains (or
whatever your OS calls it) script could then redirect requests for
192.168.0.1 to port X, and requests for 192.168.0.2 to port Y, which
different postmasters could hear.

(Even though many people virtual masquerade w/the same IP, if you have an
IP to spare, you should do this for web serving too, as it gives you a way
to make the (dwindling number of) HTTP/1.0 clients happy.

--
Joel Burton   <jburton@scw.org>

Re: Re: Virtual domains ?

From
"Dominic J. Eidson"
Date:
On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Joel Burton wrote:

[snip]

> (Even though many people virtual masquerade w/the same IP, if you have an
> IP to spare, you should do this for web serving too, as it gives you a way
> to make the (dwindling number of) HTTP/1.0 clients happy.

What we decided to do, is create a new database for each virtualhost user
who buys the DB add-on to his service. It's still all one PostgreSQL
installation, just different logical databases that they connect to.

Problem solved.

--
Dominic J. Eidson
                                        "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!" - Gimli