URL for gmake

From
Bill Barnes
Date:
Trying to rebuild v6.5.3 and the procedure calls for
gmake.

A google search is a dog-chasing-tail exercise.

Can anybody help with a URL or an alternative.

Thanks,
-Bill

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Re: URL for gmake

From
Chris Jones
Date:
On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 02:39:20PM -0800, Bill Barnes wrote:

> Trying to rebuild v6.5.3 and the procedure calls for
> gmake.
>
> Can anybody help with a URL or an alternative.

ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/make/

Chris

--
chris@mt.sri.com -----------------------------------------------------
Chris Jones                                    SRI International, Inc.

Re: URL for gmake

From
"Steve Wolfe"
Date:
> Trying to rebuild v6.5.3 and the procedure calls for
> gmake.
>
> A google search is a dog-chasing-tail exercise.
>
> Can anybody help with a URL or an alternative.

  www.freshmeat.net is a good place to look for sources, but in this case,
searching for "gnu make", which will yield you with:

http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/

  With a link to the FSF's page:

http://www.gnu.org/software/make/make.html

steve

Re: URL for gmake

From
Doug McNaught
Date:
Bill Barnes <kgbsoft@yahoo.com> writes:

> Trying to rebuild v6.5.3 and the procedure calls for
> gmake.
>
> A google search is a dog-chasing-tail exercise.

Depending on your platform, you may already have it.  GNU make is
standard on almost all Linux distributions (usually called just
'make').  The Cgywin tools also have GNU make as 'make' AFAIK.

If you need to build GNU make from source, you can get it from the
home of all GNU software:

ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/make/make-3.79.1.tar.gz

-Doug

Re: URL for gmake

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Bill Barnes writes:

> Trying to rebuild v6.5.3 and the procedure calls for
> gmake.
>
> A google search is a dog-chasing-tail exercise.
>
> Can anybody help with a URL or an alternative.

http://www.gnu.org/software/make/

Re: URL for gmake

Date:
See http://www.gnu.org/software/software.html

I usually use the GNU mirror at uunet (ftp://ftp.uu.net/packages/gnu/)
but if you're not in the eastern US then another one of the mirrors
shown at gnu.org is probably your best bet.

            regards, tom lane

Re: URL for gmake

From
Mike Castle
Date:
On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 02:39:20PM -0800, Bill Barnes wrote:
> A google search is a dog-chasing-tail exercise.

gnu make

ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/make

mrc
--
       Mike Castle       Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly
  dalgoda@ix.netcom.com  and be right all the time, or not work at all

Re: URL for gmake

From
Bill Barnes
Date:
Wow!  Got a lot of reponses.  Thanks all.

I must be, however, asking the wrong question.
Running debian 2.2 and make is in the system.

Here's a short list of the last few commands:

$./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql --with-odbc
$make all > make.log 2>&1 &
    [1] 8486
$tail -f make.log
    lot of missing prototypes messages but         it gurgled
on and finally said            All of Postgresql is
successfully made.
    Ready to install.
    had to Ctrl-c to get terminal back
$gmake install > make.install.log 2>&1 &
    [2] 10419
    [1]  Done(127)  gmake install >make.install.log    2&1
$tail -f make.install.log
    sh: gmake: command not found

Thus the reason for confusion about gmake.  Cannot
find a binary or link for gmake.  How does it get
called.

Thanks again,
-Bill

--- Bill Barnes <kgbsoft@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Trying to rebuild v6.5.3 and the procedure calls for
> gmake.
>
> A google search is a dog-chasing-tail exercise.
>
> Can anybody help with a URL or an alternative.
>
> Thanks,
> -Bill

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Re: Re: URL for gmake

From
"Russell Hires"
Date:
This is just a guess, but I think the reference to gmake is simply for those
that don't use GNU/Linux systems, such as Solaris. You have gmake if you are
running a GNU/Linux system (which you are, of course, since you've got
Debian). I'm sure all Unix variants have a "make" style program, just the
one required for Postgresql is gnu-make.

Hope my theory is correct,

Russell

  _its_ (no apostrophe) means "the thing that it owns"
  _it's_ (with apostrophe) means "it is"

----------
>From: Bill Barnes <kgbsoft@yahoo.com>
>To: pg-general <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
>Subject: [GENERAL] Re: URL for gmake
>Date: Fri, Mar 16, 2001, 8:08 PM
>

> Wow!  Got a lot of reponses.  Thanks all.
>
> I must be, however, asking the wrong question.
> Running debian 2.2 and make is in the system.
>
> Here's a short list of the last few commands:
>
> $./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql --with-odbc
> $make all > make.log 2>&1 &
>  [1] 8486
> $tail -f make.log
>  lot of missing prototypes messages but   it gurgled
> on and finally said   All of Postgresql is
> successfully made.
>  Ready to install.
>  had to Ctrl-c to get terminal back
> $gmake install > make.install.log 2>&1 &
>  [2] 10419
>  [1]  Done(127)  gmake install >make.install.log 2&1
> $tail -f make.install.log
>  sh: gmake: command not found
>
> Thus the reason for confusion about gmake.  Cannot
> find a binary or link for gmake.  How does it get
> called.
>
> Thanks again,
> -Bill
>
> --- Bill Barnes <kgbsoft@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Trying to rebuild v6.5.3 and the procedure calls for
>> gmake.
>>
>> A google search is a dog-chasing-tail exercise.
>>
>> Can anybody help with a URL or an alternative.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Bill

> http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl

Re: Re: URL for gmake

From
Bill Barnes
Date:
Well, this was a case of monkey-see monkey-do.  I was
following a procedure published by VistaSource.

So, I'll reconstruct my run and use 'make'.  Wrote a
lot of C programs before I got to Linux.  I guess
'tail' invokes the command last entered? and that's
why the error was not reported at 'gmake' entry.

Thanks,
-Bill

--- Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> I think it's time for some coffee?

But vodka is a better source of comfort, at least for
the moment.

> Here you typed "make"
>

> Here you typed "gmake"
>

> Cheers,
>
> Patrick

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Re: Re: URL for gmake

From
Patrick Welche
Date:
On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 05:08:14PM -0800, Bill Barnes wrote:

> Wow!  Got a lot of reponses.  Thanks all.
>
> I must be, however, asking the wrong question.
> Running debian 2.2 and make is in the system.

I think it's time for some coffee?

> Here's a short list of the last few commands:
>
> $./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql --with-odbc
> $make all > make.log 2>&1 &

Here you typed "make"

>     [1] 8486
> $tail -f make.log
>     lot of missing prototypes messages but         it gurgled
> on and finally said            All of Postgresql is
> successfully made.
>     Ready to install.
>     had to Ctrl-c to get terminal back
> $gmake install > make.install.log 2>&1 &

Here you typed "gmake"

>     [2] 10419
>     [1]  Done(127)  gmake install >make.install.log    2&1
> $tail -f make.install.log
>     sh: gmake: command not found
>
> Thus the reason for confusion about gmake.  Cannot
> find a binary or link for gmake.  How does it get
> called.

Cheers,

Patrick