Fw: Please Help

From
"keith"

----- Original Message -----
From: keith
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2001 12:25 PM
Subject: Fw: Please Help

----- Original Message -----
From: keith
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2001 12:17 PM
Subject: Please Help

I am lost. I am a developer, new to Linux and to postgreSQL.

I am trying to install postgreSQL on a linux machine. Every command I try to run gives me a command not found error. I cannot seem to do anything. I tried running all the commands. I tried being the root user as well as other users, no difference. I tried going to the scr directory and 'make all' still nothing. I see the html documents and can run them, but that is it.

Does anyone have any advice for someone who is an idiot when it comes to this???

Thank you in advance

Keith@gmetech.com

RE: Fw: Please Help

From
"mikhail malamud"
Date:
make sure /hometopostgre/bin is in your PATH environment variable.
do "echo $PATH" to see if it is there, if it is not
See the docs for your shell on how to set env. variable.

I am lost. I am a developer, new to Linux and to postgreSQL.

I am trying to install postgreSQL on a linux machine. Every command I
try to run gives me a command not found error. I cannot seem to do
anything. I tried running all the commands. I tried being the root user
as well as other users, no difference. I tried going to the scr
directory and 'make all' still nothing. I see the html documents and can
run them, but that is it.

Does anyone have any advice for someone who is an idiot when it comes to
this???

Thank you in advance

Keith@gmetech.com

Re: Fw: Please Help

From
"Oliver Elphick"
Date:
"keith" wrote:
  >I am lost. I am a developer, new to Linux and to postgreSQL.
  >
  >I am trying to install postgreSQL on a linux machine. Every command I try t=
  >o run gives me a command not found error. I cannot seem to do anything. I t=
  >ried running all the commands. I tried being the root user as well as other=
  > users, no difference. I tried going to the scr directory and 'make all' st=
  >ill nothing. I see the html documents and can run them, but that is it.
  >=20
  >Does anyone have any advice for someone who is an idiot when it comes to th=
  >is???

Your easiest course is to install a binary built for linux; there are
such for Debian, Red Hat, Mandrake and Suse at least.

If you build from source, you must run configure first.

If you have done the build, you have to run initdb as a non-root user
(who will become the database administrator).

Finally, you must include the bin directory, where you have put the
PostgreSQL binaries, in your execution search path.

If you still get errors you don't understand, include the error text
in your messages, otherwise we can only guess at what is wrong.

     "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see
      your good works, and glorify your Father which is in
      heaven."         Matthew 5:16