When is 7.1 going out

From
"Eric, Audet"

We are a few weeks from launching an application with postgreSQL ... We run 6.5, we are about to upgrade to 7.03 (i think I got the right numbers) ... should I wait for 7.1?

Eric

Re: When is 7.1 going out

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Eric, Audet wrote:

> We are a few weeks from launching an application with postgreSQL ... We run
> 6.5, we are about to upgrade to 7.03 (i think I got the right numbers) ...
> should I wait for 7.1?

Vadim just got back, which means that he and Tom Lane are diving into and
working out some issues with WAL that have creep'd up.  *Hopefully*, RC1
will go out early to mid next week ... if all goes well, we're talking a
full release within 2 weeks of that ...

help with simple rule

From
Chris Hayner
Date:
here is the table:

                  Table "testx"
     Attribute |  Type   |      Modifier
    -----------+---------+--------------------
     starter   | integer | not null
     second    | text    | default timestamp('now')

I am trying to make a rule which states:

    whenever someone UPDATES starter, UPDATE second with the current
    timestamp.

here is my attempt at it:

    CREATE RULE testx_update AS ON UPDATE TO testx WHERE (new.starter
    <> old.starter) DO UPDATE testx SET "second" = timestamp('now');

here is the error i am recieving:

    backend=# update testx SET starter =21910 where second = '10000000';
    ERROR:  query rewritten 10 times, may contain cycles

here is my plea for help:

    help!!! ;) seriously, i haven't been able to get this to work and
    i do not know why. any help that anyone can give me would be
    greatly appreciated.

TIA,

--ch

Re: help with simple rule

From
Stephan Szabo
Date:
You probably want to use a trigger rather than rule
for modifications like that.  I think someone's put
up one on the mailing lists fairly recently (within
a couple of months anyway) so you might be able to
find it in the archives.

Re: help with simple rule

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Stephan Szabo wrote:

> You probably want to use a trigger rather than rule
> for modifications like that.  I think someone's put
> up one on the mailing lists fairly recently (within
> a couple of months anyway) so you might be able to
> find it in the archives.

There was a "lastchg_update" module thing I posted a few weeks back.
Temporarily Chris, have a look at
http://www.archonet.com/pgdocs/pgnotes-8.html for an example of what you
want to do.

- Richard Huxton