name vs text vs varchar

From
"mike"
Date:
reading through the curent development docs, I've run accross a data type called "name", and it looks very similar to varchar or text, and I'm wondering if there is any atvantage to useing this data type over varchar or even text?

Re: name vs text vs varchar

Date:
> reading through the curent development docs, I've run accross
> a data type called "name", and it looks very similar to varchar
> or text, and I'm wondering if there is any atvantage to useing
> this data type over varchar or even text?

It is used for system catalogs.  No reason for users to use it.  It is
fixed length 31 or NAMEDATALEN-1, and has no 4-byte length header like
the other text/varchar/char types.