can't connect, strange error

From
Jeff
Date:
Can someone tell me what is going on.  Below is a sample of
my interactive command line output inside postgres.  I can't
install 7.0.2 on my current linux machine.  I installed the
same version fine on two other linux machines.

//------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jgreer=# \l
  List of databases
 Database  |  Owner
-----------+----------
 jgreer    | postgres
 postgres  | postgres
 root      | postgres
 singlesc  | root
 template1 | postgres
(5 rows)

jgreer=# create database x;
CREATE DATABASE
jgreer=# \connect x;
FATAL 1:  Database "x;" does not exist in the system
catalog.
Previous connection kept
jgreer=#

//------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is how I do my install which has always worked.

//------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(untar ungzip source)
        (cd to <postgres src dir>/src/)
        ./configure

        gmake
        gmake install

        add this the .bashrc for postgres

        PATH=".":/usr/local/pgsql/bin:$PATH
        MANPATH=$MANPATH:/usr/local/pgsql/man
        PGLIB=/usr/local/pgsql/lib
        PGDATA=/usr/local/pgsql/data
        export PATH MANPATH PGLIB PGDATA

        (Edit file /etc/ld.so.conf to add a line
     /usr/local/pgsql/lib)
        ( run command /sbin/ldconfig.)

        mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
        chown postgres:postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
        su postgres

        initdb
        /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -i &
        createdb

        # do this for each user
   createuser jgreer            # should pull up user id
from
/etc/passwd
        createdb   jgreer

        # add this to /etc/rc.d/rc.local
        su postgres -c "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -i
-D
/usr/local/pgsql/data"

//------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks
--
Jeff Greer
- B.S. computer science - Univ. MO - Rolla

Re: can't connect, strange error

From
Peter T Mount
Date:
Quoting Jeff <cleaner@showmethenet.com>:

[snip]

> jgreer=# \connect x;
> FATAL 1:  Database "x;" does not exist in the system
> catalog.

the \ commands are internal to psql not the backend and don't use ;

Peter

--
Peter Mount peter@retep.org.uk
PostgreSQL JDBC Driver: http://www.retep.org.uk/postgres/

RE: can't connect, strange error

From
Colin Taylor
Try:
\connect x
Without the ';'.
It looks like it is looking for a database named 'x;'.
HTH,
Colin

Date:
Thanks,

It is still strange though that I get different behavior
from the exact same source when built on two different
computers.  I installed 7.0.2 on my laptop and I get an
interactive prompt ">".  On my linux box I installed 7.0.2
and I get a "#" as the last character in the psql prompt.
The latter does not discard semi-colons after the prompt.

PostgreSQL 7.0.2 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc
egcs-2.91.66

Peter T Mount wrote:

> Quoting Jeff <cleaner@showmethenet.com>:
>
> [snip]
>
> > jgreer=# \connect x;
> > FATAL 1:  Database "x;" does not exist in the system
> > catalog.
>
> the \ commands are internal to psql not the backend and don't use ;

--
Jeff Greer
cleaner(at)showmethenet.com
- B.S. computer science - Univ. MO - Rolla
- web developer/software engineer,
dedicated to the struggle against the fascist
Microsoft hegemony

Re: can't connect, strange error

From
"Oliver Elphick"
Jeff wrote:
  >It is still strange though that I get different behavior
  >from the exact same source when built on two different
  >computers.  I installed 7.0.2 on my laptop and I get an
  >interactive prompt ">".  On my linux box I installed 7.0.2
  >and I get a "#" as the last character in the psql prompt.

# indicates that you have superuser privilege, > that you don't:

template1=# \c - ruth
You are now connected as new user ruth.
template1=> \q

So, on your laptop, you are using psql as a user who has not got superuser
privilege.

     "And be not conformed to this world; but be ye
      transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may
      prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect,
      will of God."             Romans 12:2